Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2013 MacBook Pro 15" Retina makes a clicking sound

I searched this forum and the internet for the problem but with no success. I just bought a macbook pro late 2013 model a month ago and there's this annoying clicking sound, specially when I use it on my lap and at a certain angle (when I am in bed and use it in a 45 degree angle or so), but sometimes also when its in my desk. It comes from the left side but I couldnt tell what triggers it. Sometimes it clicks at a rate for a while and then stops, but mostly it clicks when I open something (like a web page or an ap). Sometimes it clicks exactly when a page loads, like the images or video or whatever. The clicking sound is not too loud, but it worries me.

Some people have reported a similar clicking but related to sudden motion sensor (which my macbook is not supposed to have since it has SSD). Other people have reported that the screws or trackpad were the source. It comes from hardware inside and I checked with the speakers on mute too to make sure. I also tried downloading an app to control the fan and putting it at maximum to see if the fans were the problem but I didnt notice a direct link. I know that somehow it is related with what I do in terms of software (as I said opening something), but not always!!

Does anyone have any idea of what it might be? What should I do?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 5:40 AM

2 replies

Mar 22, 2014 1:48 AM in response to GustavoSC

I also have the same issue on a late 2013 MacBook Pro. When I lie down and rest the MBP on an angle on my thighs I occasionally get a faint clicking noise. We both still have the warranty (or if you bought Apple Care you have a couple of more years), so at the very least that is one less worry.

I will at some point take it to an Apple Store to have them look at it. However, it is so intermittent that it is hard for me to replicate - thus at the Apple store, the MBP will likely behave well...

You might also take a look at post #18 from MacRumors.

Nov 30, 2014 12:00 PM in response to GustavoSC

I have the same issue you're having.

When it first happened (soon after I bought my late 2013 15" MBP), eventually my motherboard and Retina display crashed and needed to be replaced. Now after a couple of months being repaired, I started getting the same clicking sounds opening web browsers or apps, etc. I'm worried its the same thing with the motherboard and or retina display starting to fail again.

Im going to have it checked out however like you said, It's hard to replicate on the spot.

Please LMK if you have any updates on the cause and I'll do the same.

Thanks!

Late 2013 MacBook Pro 15" Retina makes a clicking sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.