12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2014 5:57 AM by GB777
joostfromzeist Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

SInce the last update of Mavericks (10.9.2, Feb 25th), the battery of my MacBook Air drains even with the lid closed.

When I leave my Mac lid closed with the battery fully charged, next morning battery is drained.
Anyone knows what to do ?

Thanks

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)
  • sunQH Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Yes, my Macbook Air (2013 mid) has the same problem like yours.

I reset the SMC, but it doesn't work.

• John_de Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same here.  Close the lid at 100% at night, open it the next morning and have to put it on the adapter to get it to boot, where it tells me that the battery is at 0%.

Did an SMC and PRAM reset, set keyboard backlight off time back to a few minutes, disabled power nap, no joy.

If I don't get the full battery drain I get a Sleep/Wake failure on powering up.  It's pretty consistent that one or the other happens, though not 100% of the time.  You would think that they could fix this relatively quickly.

• AustinJGibson Level 3 Level 3 (810 points)

Try resetting your computer's SMC.

Resetting your Mac's SMC

NOTE: This will not erase any data.

Shut down your computer by going to  > Shut Down...

Plug in your MagSafe power adapter.

On your Mac's built-in-keyboard, press the (left-side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Note: While performing this procedure, the status of the indicator light on the MagSafe charger may change. This is normal and should be expected.

Austin

• dmyers_ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having the same issue with a macbook pro mid-2012.  reset pram/smc, disabled anything that causes wakes.  Even tested in bootcamp, same issue running windows.

any help would be appreciated

• cabassi Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same problem. I have a late-2013 retina MB Pro and the battery drains rather quickly when the lid is closed. Only just started happening fairly recently, possibly after installing 10.9.2, though to be honest I don't remember the exact timeframe. I know it wasn't always like that though.

• GB777 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I do believe that 10.9.4 should fix this issue. Go to Mac App Store and download it!

• appuser Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

SMC and PRAM re-set.

also check your power/energy options havn't been changed in the update;

and what your mac does when the lid is closd (ie stand by / shut down / nothing)

you may also want to check the hard drive and monitor (energy saving) sections too...

I have installed 10.9.4, still seeing the drain.  As noted above, also occurs running windows so it's a hardware issue, not software/OS.

I have reset PRAM and SMC previously with not good result.  Although I struggled to reset SMC, it's worked once (power cable light changes) but not been able to get it to go again.

This is doing my head in.

Thanks for your posts thou, worth trying anything.

I have reset PRAM and SMC again (worked first time, this time) after installing the latest update.

i'll re-test the battery over night.

thanks all

Hm, my advice is to make a appointment in your local Apple Store and let them run a diagnos on it

may need to do that.  tested over night, dropped from 80% to 45%

Well then it is most likely to be a battery issue since it should hold 12H (13 with Mavericks confirmed) on the 13 inch and 9H (i think 10H with mavericks) on the 11 Inch. But I'm pretty sure you can get it replaced relative fast.