Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best macbook for fcp x

Hello,

I've got a question about running FCP X on a macbook.

So i'm looking for a macbook pro that is able to run fcp x without any freezing or any other annoying things.

I'm not making giant projects nor is it for my work, i'm mainly making short videos not over 10minutes.

I'm also doing some photoshop.

I don't have a lot of money but if it's a giant difference in speed i won't mind saving a bit more money and getting something i can use for long time.

Thanks for your help,

Kay

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 8:53 AM

Kaytje wrote:

... looking for a macbook pro that is able to run fcp x without any freezing or any other annoying things...

as long as you use optimized/proxy media, and store the 'mass'-data on a physically 2nd drive (=no 'partition' of system-drive,… a cheap usb3 one does it), you can use ANY MacBook ...

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2014 8:53 AM in response to Kaytje

Kaytje wrote:

... looking for a macbook pro that is able to run fcp x without any freezing or any other annoying things...

as long as you use optimized/proxy media, and store the 'mass'-data on a physically 2nd drive (=no 'partition' of system-drive,… a cheap usb3 one does it), you can use ANY MacBook ...

Mar 9, 2014 9:02 AM in response to Kaytje

Any of the new Macs should run FCPX well - without beachballs,etc*. The ones with better specs – discrete and faster GPUs, faster CPUs with more RAM, for example – will perform better. That will be most apparent with complex projects, multicam, and very large resolution. And obviously that extra performance comes at a price. Whether it's worth it or not is entirely your call.

My suggestion is to visit an Apple retail store (preferably at a time of day when customer traffic is lower). Try out the available range ot MBP display models. Each of them will have a selection of stock footage clips and you can use these clips to create identical projects that you can compare among the demo MBPs.

Good luck.

Russ

* It's pretty certain that it's not hardware limitations that are causing the problems that some (but certainly not all) users have reported.

Best macbook for fcp x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.