Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I not update/download new apps/music/movies on my ipad or iphone when I could before

Hi. I cannot download or update any software/music/videos for my account on iphone or ipad.

I could before but I cannot get anything new to download onto either device despite haveing lots of space.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 6:29 AM

6 replies

Mar 9, 2014 6:47 AM in response to Demo

I meant that when I try to download an app, a movie, a song, or to update an app, or to purchase something new like a movie or to re-download a previously purchased movie/tv show or song, the ipad and iphone both load for a second and then fail to load/update.

I assuem this is an account issue as it happens on both the iphone and ipad, and since it didnt happen before the update, I secondly assume it is connected with the update.

More specifically, I press apps store which has many un-updated apps and press the update button. It changes to a circle with a square inside as is normal when it is downloading, and then it turns back into an update button symbol. In plain speak it does not work.

Or also, I press Itunes store, purchase a song, it asks for my password, then appears to try downloading before showing the message " Unable to download Song .... could not be downloaded at this time Done/Retry"

Its not a router issue as I have used it previously fine, and it still lets me get onto itunes and even purchase the song

I hope this is clear enough but if you need any further info just say.

Thanks

Mar 9, 2014 8:46 AM in response to lukaes

That's a great explanation of what is going on. Thanks.

It would seem to be an account issue since it happens on both devices. If you try refreshing your account, that might help. Have you signed out, reset and signed in again?

Settings>iTunes & App Store>Apple ID. Tap your ID and sign out. Reset the device.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

Go back to Settings>iTunes & App Store>Apple ID>Sign in.

Mar 9, 2014 9:38 AM in response to Demo

Well I have tried logging out of itunes on the ipad and then logging back in, but I havent tried resetting in between, so I'll try this next and if it works, will have to do it on the phone too. Shame as takes ages downloading apps and logging back in again! Thanks for the idea though! I'll give it a go and let you know progress.

Mar 25, 2016 5:51 AM in response to Demo

This certainly helped my issue. I had the same thing going on - updates would time out and the button would go back to update and not download. New apps would fail and state that they were not able to be installed. The force restart of the iPad solved the problem.

BTW I have the Air 2 and it probably didn't help that I hardly ever restart the thing. Being an IT person, I should have thought that, "turning it off and back on," would be the answer to that. (I'm a PC/server guy at heart and only have the iPad because of a college requirement."

Thanks

Why can I not update/download new apps/music/movies on my ipad or iphone when I could before

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.