Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

terminal

why my mac terminal is showing this locala8bbcf155bac:~ noman$ ? my computer name is Noman's macbook pro

i posted the same question in some other forum they said your name in sharing pane is this locala8bbcf155bac:~ noman$ thats why terminal is showing

but in sharing pane my system name is Noman's mac book

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 7:09 AM

2 replies

Mar 9, 2014 10:22 AM in response to NomanMaqsood

See <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5145243>

The bash shell takes your Mac's IP address, does a reverse DNS lookup and displays the name it gets back from the DNS server (often your local home router, or if in a corporate environment, your corportate DNS servers). As ssls6 says, if the reverse DNS lookup does not return anything, then the Mac OS X lookup code will provide your System Preferences -> Sharing -> Computer name.

The above link will provide a way to override this lookup path and use the name your provide.

You can also modify your .bash_profile and specify your own PS1 prompt string (see "man bash").

terminal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.