Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get computer to wake on mouse movement

After updating to Mavericks my computer will no longer wake on mouse movement. I've been through System Preferences and I don't think I missed any settings. Could be wrong though. Not sure where else to look to fix this?

Message was edited by: Walter Starks

Mac Pro (Early 2008), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Operating system is actually 10.9.2

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 7:57 AM

9 replies

Mar 9, 2014 4:49 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Sorry. Wasn't specific enough in my first post. The computer itself is not actually sleeping. Only the monitor. I understand that a button push will wake it, but I want to restore the proper wake on mouse movement as well. I have been doing it this way for many years and now the habit is so established that I can't break it. Not sure why this feature has stopped working.

Mar 11, 2014 8:13 AM in response to Walter Starks

Since many of the Macs on the market today are portable, battery-powered devices, it makes sense that Apple is moving to NOT power most External USB devices when the computer sleeps (to save battery power).

At this writing, that option is not configurable.

If you feel strongly about that, post here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Mar 11, 2014 10:21 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the reply. I could agree completely with shutting down USB devices to save battery power, but that's not what's happening. The mouse is fully powered. It's just being ignored by the computer when the monitor is asleep. Looks like this isn't something I'm going to be able to fix though short of just disabling sleep mode completely.

Can't get computer to wake on mouse movement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.