Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Car Bluetooth defaults to my friends iPhone 5 when we're both in car

I'm the primary user of a Toyota vehicle. I've programed my iPhone 5 to the car's Bluetooth. When my boyfriend's or daughter's iPhone 5s are in the car, the Bluetooth defaults to their phones, not mine. Incoming calls to my iPhone 5 won't connect to the Bluetooth. If I turn off their phones, Bluetooth tells me my device cannot be found. The stereo will play music off their phones not mine, unless my phone is the only one in the car.

***?

iPhone 3G, Windows XP

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 10:20 AM

Only one device can be connected at a time.

When you are in the car and will use your iPhone for calls and for playing music, the other occupants that have paired their iPhone with the vehicle's bluetooth need to turn bluetooth off on their iPhone.

7 replies

Mar 9, 2014 11:57 AM in response to downhilljill

You're welcome.

I wasn't aware an iPhone or any cell phone can be automatically paired with a bluetooth device that has not been manually and successfully paired with the device previously.

Try selecting the paired device on their iPhones and then select Forget This Device. They have paired their iPhones with the device previously or the iPhones would not be able to connect with the device in order to play music.

After doing this, when your iPhone is the only one in the car, do the same with your iPhone followed by re-pairing your iPhone with the device.

Mar 9, 2014 12:17 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Thanks again, Allan. We tried the 'forget this device' option with one of the phones yesterday, but that's when we got into the spinning star and no results. Even when I turned that phone off, the Bluetooth still couldn't find my iphone. Now and again my Bluetooth and iphone won't pair up, but it seems if I stop the car, and wait a few hours, the next time all works fine again.

I've already once had to do the re-pairing because one day a few months ago the Bluetooth stopped recognizing it altogether, and likely that's when my boyfriend tried pairing his iphone with the device. Looks like we'll have to start it all over again.

Shouldn't the Bluetooth still be able to recognize my iphone if it's been paired up already?

Appreciate your help.

Jill

Mar 9, 2014 12:24 PM in response to downhilljill

Shouldn't the Bluetooth still be able to recognize my iphone if it's been paired up already?

Yes in a perfect world but the paired settings on a cell phone can become corrupt along with so many iPhones being paired with the device and some being in the vehicle at the same time with bluetooth enabled.

If no change forgetting this device on your iPhone followed by re-pairing with the device which isn't a major effort, the next step is resetting network settings on your iPhone which will delete all previously paired bluetooth devices saved on the iPhone along with all saved wi-fi networks as well.

Car Bluetooth defaults to my friends iPhone 5 when we're both in car

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.