Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there no 4G on my new iPhone 5S!!??

I read 4G in Belgium will only be available for mobistar?

As a Base user I find this Applecustomer unfriendly!

If I would have known this up front I wouldn't have bought an iPhone!

Now I bought this expensive phone and Apple decides to block some users from the 4G network. For what? A personal feud with carriers?!

This is ********!

When will this be available for other carriers?!

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 8:24 AM

10 replies

Mar 9, 2014 8:29 AM in response to Albrecht Ch

Apple is doing no such thing. That is up to the carrier.

The iPhone 5S specs.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/specs/

Model A1533 (GSM)*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)

Model A1533 is sold in the U.S. and the only difference with the model number sold in Belgium will be the LTE bands supported.

Mar 9, 2014 8:33 AM in response to Albrecht Ch

Albrecht Ch wrote:

Now I bought this expensive phone and Apple decides to block some users from the 4G network. For what? A personal feud with carriers?!

Why are you jumping to this conclusion? What sense would it make for Apple to have a 'feud' with the wireless carriers? Apple doesn't control if 4G is available with a particular carrier. That's the carrier's area or control & responsibility.

Mar 9, 2014 8:54 AM in response to Albrecht Ch

Yes, I'm familiar with the situation. And it's not simply Apple refusing access. Here's what's really going on.

Base & Proximus have not agreed to follow Apple's requirements for Apple to check their 4G networks using a certification process.

Base & Proximus are not following the same rules and requirements that Apple has for every other wireless carrier. In other words, other wireless carriers have agreed to follow Apple's procedure, but Base & Proximus have not.

Base & Proximus want special treatment. Apple is not giving them special treatment. And now Base & Proximus are stamping their feet like petulant children and crying to their government. It boils down to the fact that following the procedure would cost Base & Proximus money. Just like it cost every other wireless carrier money. It's a business investment. Base & Proximus don't want to work with Apple to certify their networks are up to par, so Apple reserves the right to not allow access.

If Base & Proximus choose to folow the same rules & requirements that every other wireless carrier has had to follow, then maybe they'll get 4G access.

Mar 11, 2014 6:31 AM in response to Albrecht Ch

So, the conclusion is:
we are customers with apple and with proximus, they have a disput and the customer leaves alone in the cold

it is even against the Belgian law to block the 4G for a carier..

2nd conclusion:
I have an axpensive phone what does'nt do what the specs are telling me...

It's is good to know, even if you have 2 iPads, 4 iPhone's, 3 mini mac's 2 macbook pro's and all with a contract with the disputed provider Proximus... (not for the computer's)😠😠😠😠😠😠

We feel like children with seperated parents, they both have it always right...

Apr 3, 2014 4:52 AM in response to Albrecht Ch

Hello.

I'm belgian with iPhone 5s and Proximus as carrier.
It is true that Apple is blocking the 4G in Belgium for 2 of the providers (Proximus and Base).

It is strictly software.

- All smartphones with technology to connect with 4G are able to in Belgium, except iPhone ... have been told that iPad was able to connect with 4G whatever the provider...

- With the previous IOS, on iPhone 5, it was possible to add 4G support on all network with some simple hack. The open door has been removed with the next software update from Apple

The fact is that in Belgium it is forbidden to lock a device to a provider. Apple wanted to force providers in Belgium with very expensives contracts and only Mobistar went for it. Today, Apple is using his only weapon to punish Belgacom and Base by using their clients (using iPhone) as ostage.

We buy unblocked device with declared technical specification. And we can't use it as promised. This is not right.

But a belgian law is coming in the coming weeks and it will force Apple to respect his client.

Why is there no 4G on my new iPhone 5S!!??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.