Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 10 Can NOT Import Files from Older iMovie Projects

I have older iMovie projects on an external drive and want import/upgrade them to iMovie 10.

After choosing the old projects, iMovie 10 examines the old projects for a while and then gave me a list of files that it cannot import. The files I remember on the very long list are .plist and iMovie project files.

Should I be concerned? In other words, is iMovie 10 now using a new file format that makes these files superfluous? Will iMovie going to incorporate their information in the new architecture, or will some functionality be missing from the imported projects?

I'm running iMovie 10.0.2 on OSX 10.9.2 on a 27" iMac.

Thank you for your time and attention.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 12 GB RAM

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 9:15 AM

7 replies

Mar 18, 2014 7:09 AM in response to Jim Wanamaker

I'm going through my old iMovie projects and importing them one-at-a-time into iMove '11 (ver 9.0.9, build 1795)

I don't know the version of the projects that I'm importing but they have this directory structure and have file creation dates in 2007:

User uploaded file

Unfortunately, when I import them, I lose most of the editiing that from the old project:

User uploaded file

In case you can't read the area in red, it says:

Notes about the imported project:

• All transitions wll be replaced by Cross Dissolves.
  • Titles and music tracks will not be imported.
  • Video effects will not be imported.

Isn't there a way to import older iMovie projects in their entirety and completely intact?

Thank you for your time and attention.

- nello

iMovie 10 Can NOT Import Files from Older iMovie Projects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.