Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing block of projects after conversion

Purchased and converted to Aperture last month and a block of my iPhoto projects are missing. In fact, all of 2013 and the first month of this year!

Any ideas on where I should be looking to correct this??

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 11:14 AM

Purchased and converted to Aperture last month

How did you convert to Aperture? Are you using your iPhoto Library as your Aperture library?

and a block of my iPhoto projects are missing

That is ambigious (due to Apple's confusing terminology) - do you mean iPhoto events are not showing in Aperture as Aperture projects? Or are you asking about iPhoto projects (books, calendars, cards) that are missing?

If you opened your iPhoto library as Aperture library, you can still open it in iPhoto. Have you checked in iPhoto, if the library is still containing all the missing items? If they are still in the library, write down some filenames, event names, keywords, so that you can use these to search in Aperture for the missing library items. You can search in Aperture using the smart search field below the browser.

If the missing items are no longer in the converted library, can it be that you imported these events into a different iPhoto library? Have you searched for additional iPhoto libraries?

Does your converted library contain a "recovered" project?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2014 11:14 AM in response to jmalcodray

Purchased and converted to Aperture last month

How did you convert to Aperture? Are you using your iPhoto Library as your Aperture library?

and a block of my iPhoto projects are missing

That is ambigious (due to Apple's confusing terminology) - do you mean iPhoto events are not showing in Aperture as Aperture projects? Or are you asking about iPhoto projects (books, calendars, cards) that are missing?

If you opened your iPhoto library as Aperture library, you can still open it in iPhoto. Have you checked in iPhoto, if the library is still containing all the missing items? If they are still in the library, write down some filenames, event names, keywords, so that you can use these to search in Aperture for the missing library items. You can search in Aperture using the smart search field below the browser.

If the missing items are no longer in the converted library, can it be that you imported these events into a different iPhoto library? Have you searched for additional iPhoto libraries?

Does your converted library contain a "recovered" project?

Mar 9, 2014 2:01 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for shaking things up for me! So yes, it was iPhote events. But went into Aperture and opened 'switch to' other iPhoto library and found the missing Events. Wow - it was more than just my 2013 events, some from 2011 and 2012 as well!

So now I have two iPhoto libraries, which isn't how I want to manage.

You've been very helpful to get me to think about this differently, and hence, I found the pix. Any guidance on how to get all the events over to my Aperture library so there is only one set of events/projects? I certainly didn't intend for them to be separated!

Thanks in advance.

Joe.

Mar 9, 2014 2:28 PM in response to jmalcodray

Great, that you found your missing events, Joe.

Any guidance on how to get all the events over to my Aperture library so there is only one set of events/projects? I certainly didn't intend for them to be separated!

You can merge your second iPhoto library into your main Aperture library.

• Open your main library in Aperture (File > Switch to library).
  • Then import the the other library as library (File > Import > Library) and select the other library.
  • When prompted, add to "merge" and not to "Add". That will prevent the import of duplicates.

See this guide:

Aperture 3.3: How to use Aperture to merge iPhoto libraries

There are some things, you should be aware of, when using the iPhoto library as an Aperture library; for example, Aperture cannot reveal hidden iPhoto photos, and you cannot edit iPhoto books in Aperture or slideshows.

Aperture 3.3: Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture

also: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5043

So, keep iPhoto installed. This way, you can compare two libraries, by opening one in Aperture and one in iPhoto.

Regards

Léonie

Missing block of projects after conversion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.