Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Post water spill issues- no keyboard, does not boot, no monitor working (switches on though)

Dear All

I am so so sad..:((

Some days ago I accidentally spilled some tea to the touchpad-keyboard area (was not so much liquid).

Please do not hate me, I was very sick and wanted to work meantime having a tea in bed:(

So I disconnected it inmediately and anyway it switchws off by itself within 3-4 seconds.

I cleaned the keyboard turning the laptop upside down.. Then I tried to dry it with a hairdrier in low with cold air.

Since I could not admit what happened to my husband because he would have become very upset, the laptop was not

Opened inmediately, however I places some paper tissues between the monitor and keyboard, left the macbook to dry upside down and

Prayed all night long.

Next day I brought my macbook pro with one friend who is not a pro but fixed his macbook after a similar issue in the past

The only thing he did is opened the macbook and took out some parts just to see how wet my laptop was, I was touching the keyboard parts

At the bottom below the black folia in some parts and it did not feel wet at all, there was no liquid anywhere and also the paper tissues from last night

Were not wet just a very little bit humid so I was optimist.

Later in the afternoon we disconnected the battery cable insidr of the laptop and connected the charger. It gave us a green light and the macbook switched on

However it did not boot (fan, dvd working, no sound, no lights, no keyboard, only the little white light worked at the bottom) so the monitor was in black. We connected the mac to an external monitor and that remain black as well.

We connected again the battery inside and got the same result, minus that the charger switched to red so the battery of my mac was charging.

I was optimistic still as it was not a bad sign.. My mac did not die entirely and I decided to wait a couple of days as I read in forums it often helped.. 2 day under my bed upside down (ah we left it with the battery cable out) then the next morning I could not eait more, connectrd it and it turned on! I was crying! Iz took some time to boot but finally I got the login screen.. And then I realised the keyboard died: i was not able to type my password. I took the mac to my friend again and we connected the battery cable, it worked! So it was good news, no need to buy a new battery. With a usb keyboard, I was able to get in and check the data and guess what I had all my data photos videos ok!! I had not so much time so I just let open some websites to browse at home with my touchpad that worked perfectly.. Ah at this time power button was still working I believe.. The only problem I seemed to have was the keyboard died and the long booting time (1min). I sent the mac to sleep mode.

So I went home and wanted to switch it on but no reaction. Connected it to power source and nothing (except the green then red light on the charger). WE went back to the previous status: no keyboard, but fan, dvd and the little light ok, but no booting, monitor or reaction from the power button. I got very sad again and ernt back to my friend. He said there was a way to hot wire my mac so it would switch on correctly then we would set up an automatic daily boot and do the harddrive checks inmediately to fix any issues.. Long story short he mixed up the display cable with the keyboard one so when shortening the 5-6th pins I actually could see some smoke coming out (very light smoke almost could not see it).. Since it did not work, he realized he mixed cables, he tried with the keyboard one and by shortening it the fan started to spin and dvd but nothing else! :( so we were not advancing at all but possibly messed up the monitor cable as well..

So here we go.. That was yesterday and by today there is no changes, fan on, dvd on but nothing else.

Any help is very welcomed as I really do not have the money to fix my dear mac, I cannot admit this to my husband and I cannot take out so much money from zhe

Family budget to fix it by the Genius as much as I would love to ...

The mac is I believe a 2012? Macbook pro A1278 has no more guarantee or insurance

What I was thinking to do is to buy a keyboard online to see if that helps.. But based on the facts I shared with you what other issue could occur, especially regarding the display/monitor function? Is there any more test I can do?

Why would it booted 3 days after the accident then again not?

If I bring it to Apple, do they charge for the test and basic review?

Please dont judge me, I am very desperate and I need my laptop for work :((( please help

THAnk you very much for all the nice people in this community who can help with any possible solution..

I appreciate your support very much!!

Ps I described all the things in detail so that you know everything and also that others might learn from it..

MacBook Pro, A1278

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 11:19 AM

6 replies

Mar 9, 2014 1:08 PM in response to Macdarr

NOTE: Apple Care nor the standard warranty does not cover accidental damage. You will be responsible for the repair costs (which are usually more than the cost of the computer).

The good news:

If you have homeowners or rental coverage check w/them. Most policies cover accidental damage.

If you purchased your computer w/a credit card, check w/them also. You just may be covered.

Plead to hubby like you did in your post if the ins & cc are in his name.

User uploaded file

Mar 10, 2014 10:18 AM in response to Macdarr

Guys I cannot believe this:)) after 1.5 days I tried to start my mac again by connecting it to the charger an guess what it BOOTED!! So we are back to the second status again!! Only thing not working is the keyboard!! But other that all is ok!:)) can you tell me why every 2 days it would not boot and after leaving it 1.5 days it does boot again? I will change the keyboard though but.. What do you think?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Mar 10, 2014 11:06 AM in response to Macdarr

It is not uncommon for a Mac that gets wet to dry out and start working again.

HOWEVER (as I do not want to raise your hopes inappropriately), the corrosion to the main board and other components will be ongoing. Put simply, it will NOT keep working, and changing the keyboard will not fix your Mac in the longer term.

Take the opportunity whilst it is working (use a USB keyboard from anywhere) to back up all your files and seek a full repair as recommended previously. Using it in the hope that it will keep going is, I'm afraid, unrealistic.....sorry😟.

Mar 10, 2014 11:57 AM in response to Strawb268

Strawb268 wrote:

It is not uncommon for a Mac that gets wet to dry out and start working again.

1. dry out

2. work for a little while.

3. corrode and stop working.

always that order.

Signed,

The person who used to fix laptops for a living

Macdarr

Your notebook is assuredly a lost cause, but get a FREE evaluation from Apple regardless.

you waited to have it service-checked after the spill.......

that was a big mistake.

Post water spill issues- no keyboard, does not boot, no monitor working (switches on though)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.