Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I make the Ipad II tether to my Samsung mini smart phone?

I know how to tether as I have successfully tethered my Samsung mini to my Windows laptop but I get an error message on the ipad II saying it is unable to connect even though my phone is listed in the available networks and I have entered the correct password.

I would appreciate a solution please.

iPad 2

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 5:57 PM

Bluetooth is used primarily for tethering audio devices (headsets, speakers, cars, etc.) There is no support to tethering to other mobile devices. You can see the iOS Supported Bluetooth profiles here.

What is it you are trying to do that you think you need to tether the two devices?

7 replies

Mar 12, 2014 1:41 PM in response to Alfred DeRose

Thank you Alfred. I want to be able to connect to the internet when I am visiting a friend who does not have internet and also when I am at work where I am not able to link to the business network.

When I do this with my laptop I tether it to my Samsung and can access my emails /internet etc.

If I could do the same with the ipad I won't have to carry the heavy laptop everywhere.

Mar 13, 2014 12:31 AM in response to ncl7373

Samsung smartphones - or at least the Galaxy line - have a feature similar to the iPhone called a personal hot spot. If you activate that on your Samsung device it will appear as any other WiFi hotspot for your iPad. Connect to that and you will have Internet access for your iPad.

Edit:

See this for more info: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/04/29/how-to-use-the-samsung-galaxy-s4-as-a-pe rsonal-hotspot/

Mar 16, 2014 5:02 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

Thank you Texas Mac Man. I was able to connect once I realised that I had my Samsung set to 'only Allowed Devices'. Reading the links etc reassured me that I was doing the correct things so I knew I must have missed something. I changed my setting to allow all devices and then my ipad appeared. I pressed + to add it and then was able to change the settings back to 'only allowed devices' and my ipad remained on the allowed list with my laptop.

I am mobile at last so thank you for taking the time to reply.

How can I make the Ipad II tether to my Samsung mini smart phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.