Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't pair new iPhone with Subaru Outback 2014

I am having problems connecting my phone to the Bluetooth on my Subaru Outback 2014. The music works on the BT Audio but the phone doesn't. I keep following the instructions to pair phone and it times out. I now have the iPhone 5S. Worked fine with my old iPhone. Thoguhts???

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 3:44 PM

11 replies

Sep 30, 2017 7:52 AM in response to jsilberman24

Well I'm not a techy person at all and I am a senior citizen. But after reading these comments I attempted to pair my iPhone 6s Plus to my 2014 Outback. Did it completely with the steering wheel controls. First I deleted the previous owners phones, I then paired my iPhone as a media device then as a phone. Works perfectly for my music and for calls and no problems remembering it after turning it off an back on. Love it, hooks up automatically when I step into the car and start it up. One thing I'm not sure of is using Siri but I'm pretty sure it will work as long as the phone can hear me ok.

Mar 9, 2014 3:49 PM in response to jsilberman24

I have read a number of posts regarding problems with Subaru. Most have said to use the steering wheel controls to pair the device rather than the screen prompts. While I do not remember the exact procedures, if you do a search of the forum and/or look to the right of the thread under More Like This, you may find your answer. Seems Subaru has trouble supporting iOS 7.

Oct 6, 2014 7:46 AM in response to sliptip

Do a search of the forum, and I believe you will find a discussion regarding iOS8, and that users have success with pairing the device using the buttons on the steering wheel. I'm not sure of the complete content, as it did not affect me since I do not have a Subaru, but it seems that Subaru vehicles are difficult to pair not matter what. Good luck.

Oct 9, 2014 7:53 AM in response to jsilberman24

I tried and failed using many of the suggestions on this forum and others, having not been able to succeed via the manual. Stopped at a Subaru dealer. Paired in less than 30 sec, faster than my eye could remember. Nothing fancy, I do know that. Moral: it's easy if you know how. Not likely to be a fundamental flaw in either the phone or the operating system.

Nov 12, 2014 7:22 AM in response to jsilberman24

My wife and I have dueling 2012 Outbacks. She has the iPhone 5S with no problems; I have the iPhone 6 with problems. Before 8.1, I couldn't get them to pair at all. Once 8.1 came along, I could pair them successfully but had to re-pair them every time I started the car...a nuisance.

Anyway, the FIX is to pair them using the controls on the steering wheel...NOT the controls on the radio.

Once I did that, the car 'remembers' the phone.

Can't pair new iPhone with Subaru Outback 2014

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.