Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

removing sheet references in formulas

Is there a way to remove all sheet references from formulas in a sheet that has been copied and then pasted from one sheet to another?

I have several scenarios (one per sheet) all identical except differing data. They must to be in the same workbook. Can this be accomplished in Numbers without every cell being manually edited?

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 4:54 PM

9 replies

Mar 9, 2014 5:04 PM in response to NuTachyon

Tachyon,

In Numbers:

Documents contains sheets

Sheets contain tables, text, graphics

Tables contains cells

cells contain text, numbers, formulas

Based on this Numbers-centric terminology are you copying a sheet to another document? Copying a table to another sheet?

If the table name is unique Numbers does not need the sheet name to resolve which table you are referring to. If you have more than one table with the same name then Numbers uses the Sheet/Table combination to locate a table.

Mar 9, 2014 8:18 PM in response to NuTachyon

This is very good to know. Now is this same option possible with the iCloud version?

That's a good question! I can't find the option to duplicate a sheet in Numbers for iCloud. And if on sheet 1 you select all tables (with some formulas in a table referring to cells in another table on that sheet), copy, add a new sheet, and paste the tables there, the tables appear as expected but the formulas still refer to cells in tables in sheet 1 instead of the corresponding tables on the new sheet. You might want to give Apple feedback on that.

In general I've found setting up documents is much easier on the Mac (and to a lesser extent the iPad) than at icloud.com iCloud is good for sharing documents and making some edits, and now syncs documents smoothly between the Mac and iOS, but it's not all that good for settng up documents. You can duplicate sheets easily both on the Mac and in Numbers for iOS to create your scenarios, and Numbers for iCloud will display them properly with the correct cell references.

SG

Mar 10, 2014 11:19 AM in response to SGIII

SG,

Just before I posted this question, I had contacted Apple Support to ask it I was just not seeing the normally available option to Dublicate a Sheet. They didn't know how to accomplish what I was attempting to do and suggested I post in the Apple Support Community.

This is good that you are able to confirm what I have found. I was intentional in not using the term "dublicate sheet" as I was hoping someone like yourself would add additional insight to the problem -- As you did. Thank you!

I only have EXcel on my Mac and I thought I'd try using the version of Numbers Apple provides on iCloud to test the waters, so to speak.

Mar 10, 2014 11:37 AM in response to NuTachyon

I only have EXcel on my Mac and I thought I'd try using the version of Numbers Apple provides on iCloud to test the waters, so to speak.

Your comment prompted me to try the 'Upload Spreadsheet' feature in iCloud Numbers.

User uploaded file

To my surprise it does a decent job on Excel spreadsheets. So if you don't (yet) have Numbers for the Mac you could set up your scenarios on different sheets in an Excel workbook and Upload the workbook.

SG

removing sheet references in formulas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.