Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung HDMI Monitor Causing iTunes Audio Glitches

Hello-

I have a mid-2010 model Mac Mini that I use exclusively for iTunes; it is connected to a USB DAC, amplifier, and then headphones. I usually run it using the Remote app from my iPad or iPhone, but recently I added a Samsung 19" TV as a small monitor, connected via HDMI. I wanted it just for maintenance, updates, etc.; and anything that is inconvenient to do using screen sharing.

However, when the monitor is connected, I get slight crackling noises from iTunes when starting a track, or switching to another track. Sometimes a track will stutter a bit as well. When the monitor is disconnected, everything is fine.

My DAC is selected in System Preferences/Sound as the sound output device, and it's also correctly selected and set up in Audio/Midi Settings. The HDMI monitor also shows up as a choice for audio output in both of these locations, though, since the HDMI cable can carry sound.

I'm pretty sure the monitor is causing the glitches; I sometimes use a 3rd party music player along with iTunes, such as BitPerfect, or Audirvana Plus. The same thing happens with each of these, but when the monitor is disconnected, both of these players operate perfectly, and so does iTunes when playing music on its own.

Is there a way I can keep the monitor connected, and clear up the crackles and stuttering? I don't really need the monitor hooked up at all times, but it would be nice if there was something I could do to eliminate the extraneous noise.

Thanks for any ideas anyone might have.

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 7:40 PM

1 reply

Samsung HDMI Monitor Causing iTunes Audio Glitches

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.