Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture previews on internal HD while RAW on external HD - possible?

Hi. I need a solution that will allow me to store my RAW and old JPG original image library on external drives and keep high quality JPGs in the Aperture library on the internal drive. For me this would act as a secondary backup to burning RAW files to DVD for archival and disaster recovery, and also allow faster access to certain functions of Aperture that don't require messing with RAW masters, not to mention freeing up a lot of space that is very much needed. Especially now with 24 and 36 MP RAW files from my D7100 and D800, RAW files are often in the 60-70 MB range while an HQ JPG of the same image might be about 10x less. Is this possible with Aperture? Is anyone doing something similar to deal with similar issues with a different solution that doesn't include Aperture (I've been using Aperture since the beginning so I don't have a lot of experience with different solutions, but I'm willing to switch), such as Lightroom or Capture NX2? Obviously cost and hardware are limitations here. Ideally, I would have a RAID setup and offsite auto-backup, but this would require TBs of storage on top of the TBs I already have, which usually costs upwards of $100 per month (i.e. bitcasa). Not an option for me right now. Thanks for any suggestions!

P.S. Just to be clear, I'm aware of the relatively high quality thumbnails (up to 1024 pixels) Aperture generates, which are available in the program even if the managed library is unavailable (unplugged). This isn't good enough for my purpose. I'm talking about large JPGs, at least 2 to 3 times larger than a 1024 thumbnail that could potentially be of use in a professional context in the event the orignals were lost or unavailable.

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 12:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 1:45 AM

Hi. I need a solution that will allow me to store my RAW and old JPG original image library on external drives and keep high quality JPGs in the aperture library on the internal drive.

You can relocate a subset of your original image files to an external drive - select the projects an Aperture that you want to reloacte and us ethe command File > Relocate ...".

See this manual page, on what you have to consider, when using referenced original files on an external drive:

Aperture 3 User Manual: Working with Referenced Images

P.S. Just to be clear, I'm aware of the relatively high quality thumbnails (up to 1024 pixels) Aperture generates,

You are not limited to the thumbnails - you can render high quality previews of any size and use quick preview mode (change the preview size in the preview settings), but whatever you do, with the originals offline, you will not be able to edit or export the referenced images - you can only export the preview.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2014 1:45 AM in response to seemara

Hi. I need a solution that will allow me to store my RAW and old JPG original image library on external drives and keep high quality JPGs in the aperture library on the internal drive.

You can relocate a subset of your original image files to an external drive - select the projects an Aperture that you want to reloacte and us ethe command File > Relocate ...".

See this manual page, on what you have to consider, when using referenced original files on an external drive:

Aperture 3 User Manual: Working with Referenced Images

P.S. Just to be clear, I'm aware of the relatively high quality thumbnails (up to 1024 pixels) Aperture generates,

You are not limited to the thumbnails - you can render high quality previews of any size and use quick preview mode (change the preview size in the preview settings), but whatever you do, with the originals offline, you will not be able to edit or export the referenced images - you can only export the preview.

Mar 10, 2014 7:47 AM in response to seemara

Aperture is structured to provide exactly what you want. You have a few details mis-understood, however.

Read my short guide to the parts of Aperture.

Your Library holds Images (each Image is a record in a database). You control whether the Image's Original (the file you imported) is stored inside the Library package or outside. Images that are stored outside the Library package can be on-line or off-line (Images stored inside the Library package are on-line any time the Library is open in Aperture.) Aperture lets you do much with Images whose Originals are off-line, all of which involves metadata: you can rate them, put them into different containers in Aperture, assign keywords, etc. What you cannot do when an Image's Original is off-line is: print the Image, change Adjustments, or export the Image.

Aperture is designed to deal with the problem of Libraries taking up too much space an a single drive by relocating older or rarely-used Images' Originals to a second (almost always external) drive.

Cleverly, though, Aperture also includes another file based on your Image that can be useful. This is the Preview. It is a JPG file. It is stored in your Library package, and thus is always on-line when your Library is open. You create a copy of your Preview file by dragging an Image from Aperture. Those copies can be emailed, used in other programs, etc. (Added: In fact, it is this Preview file that Aperture makes available to other programs via OS X's Media Browser.)

You control:

- whether Previews are created

- whether Previews are deleted

- the size and quality settings of the Preview file.

You can control these things for each Image in your Library, but in practice this is usually set for the entire Library and not changed for any subset of Images.

Put your Library on your system drive. Relocate [some, many, almost all] Originals to a dedicated external drive. (Note that this is not a one-way trip: Aperture makes it easy to relocate or consolidate any Originals at any time. And don't worry about the Finder folder structure: it seems important to you, but to the computer it makes no difference at all.) Set your Previews to the highest resolution and quality that you might need. (I set mine to equal the resolution of my largest display, with "Quality" set to 10.)

You now have pretty much what you asked for: a trimmed-down Library, RAW Originals off of your system drive, and the ability to create fairly large, high-quality JPGs of your Images at any time.

The next step -- should your Library outgrow this set-up -- is to put your Library on a fast external drive. External drive throughput is excellent today. Start-up time for a Library on an external drive is slower, but once loaded a Library on an external drive should appear to the user no different than a Library on an internal drive.

The above makes up your _working copy_ of your Aperture system ("system" = Library + Images' Referenced Originals). For backup, make two copies of your _working copy_. Store one off site. Never have all three in the same physical location.

The Preview is, as you've noticed, a good "extra" back-up of your work. Just be aware that it is a JPG, and is likely lower resolution than a new file created by exporting an Image.

Lastly, you might re-consider using optical media for archival purposes. I looked into this three or four years ago and concluded that keeping two copies of my digital archive on hard drives was less expensive, easier to maintain, more reliable, and gave me far more latitude for storage and retrieval.

HTH,

--Kirby.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Mar 11, 2014 1:52 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Wow, Kirby, that was a flawless and spot on explanation! Thanks for that! So it appears I was on the right track, and now I know for sure that the previews are stored in the Aperture library even if I externalize the originals, which is exactly what I need.

I too came to the same conclusion about multiple backups on hard drives being better in many ways, but I had a bad experience back in the day with a similar design. I was using a Powerbook G4, and had from 3 to 4 7200 rpm Lacie FW400 hard drives daisy chained to each other; 2 of them held identical backups of my media files. What I later discovered to be a logic board fault (after removing internal HDD assembly, including ribbon cable disconnect, PB started acting normally again) seems to have been at least partially to blame for all of the firewire drives, and at least one replacement, failing to some degree or another over the course of about a year and a half (the time it took me to finally realize I had to start ripping the thing apart to avoid losing all of my data for good). Consequently, I learned the hard way that any backup that's on the grid, or at least on the same grid as the source, is subject to failing together with the source, which defeats the purpose of having a backup. This is why I was contemplating a bitcasa type solution, but that's cost prohibitive at the moment. Burning to DVD seems more reasonable on the surface, but you have to ask yourself how scrupulous you honestly expect yourself to be about actually performing the manual backups. Maybe a small investment in a Blu-Ray system would make such a backup system less painfull.

In any event, thanks again for your most helpful and elegantly crafted response.

And, leonie, your response was also helpful and mostly answered my question, so thank you as well!

--seemara

Mar 11, 2014 9:51 AM in response to seemara

seemara wrote:

Wow, Kirby, that was a flawless and spot on explanation! Thanks for that! So it appears I was on the right track, and now I know for sure that the previews are stored in the Aperture library even if I externalize the originals, which is exactly what I need.

[ ... ]

In any event, thanks again for your most helpful and elegantly crafted response.

Yes.

Glad to help 🙂 . Thanks for the compliment.

(Added: Re: Backups: The step we all leave out is verifying the back-up. This needs to be done regularly, regardless of the method of making and the method of storing the back-up. Specific to backing up to optical media: my conclusion was that 1. the durability of the media was significantly less than I thought (and relies on disc readers, as well); and 2. the cost of using optical discs scales negatively with increased data size: Each additional byte backed up costs the same to make, and more to keep (the administration costs increase (how do you file 250 disks?)), whereas with magnetic media each additional byte costs less, and the administration costs are fixed and thereby decrease on a per byte basis. My two copper discs worth on this topic.)

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Aperture previews on internal HD while RAW on external HD - possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.