Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt ethernet adapter will not connect - "cable unplugged"

Just purchased the adapter for mid 2012 macbook pro retina with mavericks. Thunderbolt ethernet shows up in networks but shows cable unplugged, when the cables are in fact plugged in.

I have ATT uverse internet if that is relevant. have been using wifi since having the service installed so this is my first time trying to hardwire.

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 10:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 9:03 AM

Hey truthclimb,

Thanks for the question. I understand you are experiencing issues with your Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter. The following resource outlines the first-time setup process for this adapter. In most cases, you simply need to select the connection from the sidebar in System Preferences > Network, then click “Apply”. If your issue persists, try deleting and re-adding the connection from the sidebar (and clicking “Apply”):

Apple USB or Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapters: First time setup

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5520

Thanks,

Matt M.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2014 9:03 AM in response to truthclimb

Hey truthclimb,

Thanks for the question. I understand you are experiencing issues with your Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter. The following resource outlines the first-time setup process for this adapter. In most cases, you simply need to select the connection from the sidebar in System Preferences > Network, then click “Apply”. If your issue persists, try deleting and re-adding the connection from the sidebar (and clicking “Apply”):

Apple USB or Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapters: First time setup

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5520

Thanks,

Matt M.

Apr 3, 2014 10:30 AM in response to truthclimb

I was having this problem and even after following the above steps. I then used the Help Center and found how to create a new "Bridge Virtual Network Interfaces" instruction.

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Network.
  2. Choose Manage Virtual Interfaces from the Action menu.
  3. Click Add (+), choose New Bridge, then select the interfaces to include in the bridge.

I deleted the profiles already there, added the Thunderbolt back in, hit apply and good to go now.

Thunderbolt ethernet adapter will not connect - "cable unplugged"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.