Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail server (dovecot) stop authenticate (server.app 3.0.3, OsX 10.9.2)

Hi,

I have this problem: on a Mac mini with Maverick 10.9.2 and Server.app 3.0.3 with Open Directory (with about 75 Users and mail), it appears that randomly, dovecot stop to authenticate mail clients without standart method, so all Windows client stop to work because server ask again their passwords.

At this point the only way to restart service for good is to restart completely the machine.

Start/Stop mail service or Open Directory does'nt work.

If we do an hardware reboot of the server, clients start to authenticate again.

We use as authenticate mechanism "Ad hoc" with all check opts. enabled...

This is a very annoying problem: with a large number of users can be really a pain in the *ss.

I try to search the forum and the closest similar problem I've foud it's about osx that use (in ad hoc choice of authentication mechanism) CRAM-MD5 as default option and this is not supported by windows oulook-like clients.

The only difference in my case is that this seems NOT really true because Mail server WORKS for a while (could be one or two working day) and then in a random way that I couldnt understand, it stop until I restart the machine.

It's so weird.

Please, where I can start to look to troubleshoot this problem?
Can someone had a similar experience to share?

Thanks in advance...

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Server.app 3.0.3

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 3:03 AM

5 replies

Mar 26, 2014 5:39 PM in response to MrHoffman

I return after a little while on the problem.

I think my problem is related to this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5289

When I do this procedure and kill PasswordService, server mail return to authenticate users.Also, without this command, server.app don't change user passwords.

The thing now, it's that this Password Service problem after a while it's rising again.

How can I solve it?

Thanks.

Mar 27, 2014 3:50 AM in response to Andrea P.

I try to look at passwordservice logs but nothing strange are there.

It seems that kerberos is involved too, i see many error like this:

2014-03-27T11:07:17 Failed to decrypt PA-DATA -- notifiche@SERVER.[MYSERVER].COM (enctype aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96) error Decrypt integrity check failed for checksum type hmac-sha1-96-aes256, key type aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96

And always is notification mailbox I've created for the server.

Looking at google I found this, is the most closest case related to mine:

http://www.marshut.com/qktsu/decrypt-integrity-check-failed-issue.html

Thanks fos any hints or clue you can give...

Mail server (dovecot) stop authenticate (server.app 3.0.3, OsX 10.9.2)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.