Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight Search Crash when Push/Fetch is off

Hello there,

I have a problem: Spotlight Search crashes when I turn off Push or Fetch.

Every time I close Mail.app and try to find anything in Spotlight it crashes after typing one or two characters. But if Push or Fetch are on, it does not.

I have an iPhone 5. Tried to reset all settings—did not help. Even if I delete all email accounts, launch Mail.app, then close it and try to use Spotlight Search it crashes straight away.

Can anybody help me with this?

Many thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 2:38 AM

17 replies

Mar 18, 2014 8:53 AM in response to lumiir

I am wondering if Apple Support reads our questions. Maybe they can help to solve this problem one day.

It is very annoying. Every time when I need to look for some contact or email, or text message, Spotlight crashes. And it seems to crash the very first time after closing Mail.app, after typing 1 or 2 characters. And if I switch on Push or Fetch for Mail, then it does not crash. Also tried to remove all email accounts—did not help, neither did restore and reset. Of course there is a way to unselect Mail in Spotlight Search settings, but what is the point of having Spotlight without an opportunity to search for email?

Mar 20, 2014 6:31 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

Dear lumiir and Alfred DeRose,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Since I have tried all possible manipulations with settings etc to solve the problem with Spotlight and Mail, I just thought (I know it may look strange) that maybe it somehow linked. My friends, who also use iPhone and have iCloud on computers (both Mac and PC), do not experience any problems with Spotlight, Mail (set to Push/Fetch/Manual)

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you.

Mar 20, 2014 8:04 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

Of course, I am able to use iCloud on win platform.

But it doesn't affect this trouble.

Resets-device,factory-didn't help.

Pleeeease don't give me this advice any more :))))

The only temporary solution is to switch-off searching in E-mail in settings of Spotlight.

But imho this step and setting very substantially limits this service,feature and its advantage.

Mar 20, 2014 8:17 AM in response to lumiir

Thank you, but have already tried restoring iOS a few times, as well as reseting all settings and recovery mode… neither of them helped.

Just noticed that Spotlight shows deleted emails withal (a draft of email that was either sent or deleted), and it shows as a new email; when I click on this email it opens it Mail.app… which is a clear nonsense. 😕😮

I agree—it is still possible to switch off (unselect) Mail.app in Spotlight settings, but it is not a solution.

In my case it started crashing after installing iOS 7; and so far, none of the known and possible reset/recovery solved the problem.

Spotlight Search Crash when Push/Fetch is off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.