Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

URL behaviour in Messages has changed

Until recently, I could drag a URL from the Location bar in Safari to Messages and it would send as a hyperlink using the title of the page.

Now when I drag a URL to a Message window, it becomes a URL attachment (see attached screen cap.).

Is this a "feature" of 10.9.2?

If so, I don't like it.

Is there any way to restore the old behaviour?

Thanks,

Rob

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 2011 15-inch 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 8:25 AM

11 replies

Mar 10, 2014 1:12 PM in response to rcostain

Hi,

1) I use Firefox.

2) I tend to Copy and Paste URLs in some cases making them a Hyperlink (CMD +K)

I have had issues before with Safari automatically "saving a Web archive" version of the page rather then just a URL

I don't use Safari enough to work out what the difference is.

User uploaded file

8:12 pm Monday; March 10, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Mar 11, 2014 2:17 PM in response to rcostain

Hi rcostain,

Same issue here with several Macs upgraded to 10.9.2. I talked to Apple Support and they could only suggest using copy/paste which is not as simple as dragging. They were not aware of anything in the update that could have caused this, but it did on every Mac we upgraded.

😟

If you drag the favicon (like you could before) to Messages using AIM it sends it as a flie transfer now instead of inserting it as a hyperlink like it used to. The problem is the recipient cannot always open it and it gets hung up waiting for the recipient to accept the transfer but they dont see the option to do so. You can still drag the favicon to mail and a few other applications I tried.

My issue with it is when it does a file transfer, it creates a folder for each transfer with one file in it and saves it. It created a lot of unnecessary junk folders and files at Library/Containers/com.apple.iChat/Data/Library/Caches while I was trying to figure out what was going on.

😠

In addition to using copy/paste I did figure out you can click on the URL to highlight it and then drag the highlighted URL to Messages. I can live with that but it was a lot more convenient the old way.

May 19, 2014 11:54 AM in response to J. Williams

Hi,

In Firefox I see this URL and icon for this thread.

User uploaded file

If I clcik and hold the Apple US bit I get a floaty padlock image.

I can drag this to Messages.

Messages changes it to the title of the Thread but still as a link.

User uploaded file

Which works when received in another Buddy list.

User uploaded file

AS you say in Safari it creates file that is transferred but this then works as a link

User uploaded file

That looks like it might be Safari rather than Messages.

User uploaded file

7:54 pm Monday; May 19, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

May 19, 2014 12:33 PM in response to J. Williams

HI,

That's a good question - that I don't know the answer to as I use Firefox most of the time.

Try in this Safari specific area https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/safari

User uploaded file

8:33 pm Monday; May 19, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jun 2, 2014 8:24 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

hi, any idea how to replicate the same behavior going from Firefox to an email message body? it works for me the same going from Firefox to iChat (i'm on Lion) where it drops it in as a Hyperlink automatically, like this:

URL behaviour in Messages has changed: Apple Support Communities

but when i drag the link from Firefox to an email message, or this message box here i'm writing in, it drops it in as a regular URL like this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5981338?answerId=25836430022#25836430022

with Safari to an email message body, it pastes it as a Hyperlink (1st example above), which is how i prefer it. if i wanted to drop it in as a URL (2nd example above) i can simply copy the URL and thne paste it manually, rather than dragging & dropping. it's nice to have both options.

URL behaviour in Messages has changed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.