Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

StraightTalk Model Number to Apple Model Number Info?

I'm looking to buy an unlocked iPhone 5s at an Apple store to work with the StraightTalk carrier. Does anyone know which Apple model number is equivalent to the ST model number "STAPi5sG16GDP4" for an iPhone 5s?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.6

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 8:30 AM

19 replies

Mar 10, 2014 8:57 AM in response to KiltedTim

So, is that equivalent to the A1533? In other words, if I buy a StraightTalk iPhone 5s and take it out of the package new, what model number is printed on the back of the actual iPhone 5s?

The reason I am asking is that I have an Apple store 5 miles from me, but none of the area Wal-Marts have a ST 5s model STAPi5sG16GDP4 (what ST says will work in my area) in stock. I'd have to drive 3 hours round trip to the closest Wal-Mart with the STAPi5sG16GDP4 in stock. My local Wal-Mart DOES have an activation kit with nano SIM card though. So, I was hoping to buy my unlocked phone from the Apple Store, buy the ST Activation kit from the local Wal-Mart. If I just knew which model corresponded to the ST-packaged 5s, I could save 3 hours of driving and end up with the exact same setup. It's not clear at all to me if I need GSM or CDMA+GSM.

Details on the Apple models.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Mar 10, 2014 9:32 AM in response to KiltedTim

StraightTalk is sold exclusively from Wal-Mart, so, of course I won't be able to buy a ST phone from the Apple store.

As of last year though, Apple stores are selling UNLOCKED phones in CDMA and GSM models. ONE or MORE of those unlocked models will work with StraightTalk through the BYOP (Bring your Own Phone) program. Anyway, I don't think you are understanding that Apple doesn't make an iPhone that is excluse to StraightTalk. It's got a model number equivalent to an existing Apple 5s model number. Guess I'll just go ahead and get the phone from Wal-Mart and post the model number back here to help others that might have the same question in the future.

Mar 10, 2014 9:39 AM in response to JeffSKennedy

As of last year though, Apple stores are selling UNLOCKED phones in CDMA and GSM models.

GSM yes, CDMA no. If you want to use an iPhone with any CDMA carrier, you must purchase the model for that carrier. For instance, you cannot use a Verizon-model iPhone with Sprint nor vice-versa. You can use an unlocked Verizon-model or Sprint-model iPhone 5, 5C or 5S with another GSM carrier, but not with another CDMA carrier. And of course a GSM iPhone purchased unlocked from Apple can be used with any compatible GSM carrier.

Just to make sure that's clear so that anyone reading isn't confused.

Regards.

Mar 10, 2014 9:50 AM in response to JeffSKennedy

JeffSKennedy wrote:

StraightTalk is sold exclusively from Wal-Mart, so, of course I won't be able to buy a ST phone from the Apple store.

Then buy one from WalMart. Order it online and have it shipped to the store near you.

As of last year though, Apple stores are selling UNLOCKED phones in CDMA and GSM models.

There is no such thing as an unlocked CDMA iPhone.

I don't think you are understanding that Apple doesn't make an iPhone that is excluse to StraightTalk.

Actually, they do. Just as they make iPhones that are exclusive to Verizon, and Sprint, etc... All CDMA iPhones are specific to the carrier they are made for.

Mar 10, 2014 9:59 AM in response to varjak paw

Lol. Not so clear on my original question, which is to know what the model number cross reference is for a specific carrier-specific model. If I had that, I'd know exactly which model to ask for at the Apple store. CDMA vs GSM really is secondary here, and there doesn't seem to be clear information on which technology is used. I suspect that this varies from area to area around the US and that is why there is confusion. I'm trying to break through that confusion by being as specific as possible. If I find that it is an Apple model that is not sold in Apple stores, so be it, but I still want to know which model 5s it actually is. Does that make sense?

Mar 10, 2014 10:17 AM in response to JeffSKennedy

I was responding to your statement that iPhones can be purchased unlocked for GSM and CDMA, and that's not correct. Only the GSM portion is unlocked.

I suspect that this varies from area to area around the US and that is why there is confusion

No, it varies by carrier, not by region.

If I find that it is an Apple model that is not sold in Apple stores, so be it, but I still want to know which model 5s it actually is. Does that make sense?

Then as has been suggested you should contact WalMart, or if you wish to buy an iPhone elsewhere and use it with Straight Talk, contact Straight Talk:

http://www.straighttalkbyop.com

Regards.

Mar 10, 2014 12:41 PM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim wrote:

Then buy one from WalMart. Order it online and have it shipped to the store near you.

Yep... Will do. I was posting here because I thought I might get an answer that made sense, instead of having to wait several days or drive for 3 hours to get a 5s in the same day.

There is no such thing as an unlocked CDMA iPhone.

True, and Apple doesn't make a CDMA-Only 5s to the best of my knowledge. They make a GSM (unlocked), and a CDMA+GSM (unlocked), where the "(unlocked)" pertains to when the phone is in GSM mode only. The CDMA mode will supposedly work on any and all networks that support CDMA AND allow a user to "bring their own phone." CDMA is unlocked on the phone side, but is effectively locked until a CDMA carrier adds the device serial number to a list of devices that should have access to the specific carrier's network.

In my area, it seems that AT&T would likely be the actual carrier for a StraightTalk account. I don't believe that AT&T uses CDMA, but I am unclear if an unlocked GSM phone that is purchased from an Apple retail store would work properly with the higher speeds and visual voice mail.

You're telling me that it won't, and I accept your opinion on it, but I'm asking specifically why it won't and the answer really doesn't hold much water IMO. Apple doesn't make a specific model CDMA phone for specific carriers, rather, the carriers keep track of the serial numbers of CDMA phones that were sold for use on their network, and authorizes those specific devices. In other words, it's not the phone that keeps a CDMA device from working on another carrier, but, rather, the tower side of the system.

Anyway, I was looking for specific answers that I guess can't be found here. I honestly wasn't trying to be contentious, so, I'm sorry if I have offended anyone here. Was just looking for an answer to a specific question on model number cross-reference. I'll follow-up here with the answer after I have found one. This isn;t about a contest for who knows about cell phone technology.... just an honest question on specific models.

Mar 10, 2014 12:38 PM in response to JeffSKennedy

In my area, it seems that AT&T would likely be the actual carrier for a StraightTalk account. I don't believe that AT&T uses CDMA, but I am unclear if an unlocked GSM phone that is purchased from an Apple retail store would work properly with the higher speeds and visual voice mail.

As I have told you, Apple does not support the use of unlocked iPhones on the StraightTalk GSM service.

You're telling me that it won't, and I accept your opinion on it, but I'm asking specifically why it won't and the answer really doesn't hold much water IMO

That's too bad, because that's the way it is, and continuing to whine about it is not going to alter reality.

StraightTalk Model Number to Apple Model Number Info?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.