Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using FIND MY IPHONE to help with locating MH370 casualties?

OK this may seem really silly (ok it definitely is) OR has already been done or not I don't know I just thought it was a pretty decent, simple idea that may or may not be of any help with the missing plane/people of the MH370. Icloud's Find My Iphone app has been of great use to me in tracking my phone, I'm sure it could be used in someway to see if they could locate the last known surroundings of any of the passengers. I'm a little obsessed with the whole story and my heart goes out to everyone involved in it but does anyone think this could work?

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 9:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 11:05 AM

Yes they could've done this when the phones were found to be still ringing and online status was online, as some relatives had stated.

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/phones-of-mh370-passengers-r inging-online-accounts-active-claim-relatives

8 replies

Mar 10, 2014 9:28 AM in response to seizureslater

Only if the phone is switched on and connected to a network. Hard to imagine how this can happen if (a) the plane is under water or (b) has crashed/crash landed in a remote place such as a jungle or desert or mountains (c) if crashed likelihood is small items such as an iphone may well have been smashed/destroyed.

There's also the possibility the plane itself has some electronic device such as a transponder which would help in locating it. In all likelihood this too may have been destroyed.

You could have thought of this yourself prior to posting.

Mar 11, 2014 9:22 AM in response to seizureslater

I guest its possible seizureslater since a call can be place which means the data package should be able through. I dont think there's no one on board hasn't using an iPhone. Hope they didnt turn off the data roaming mode. The question is, does the family members or friends know their Apple ID account? Or maybe Apple could pull off the data from iCloud? Just my opinion.

Message was edited by: M Ariff K

Mar 12, 2014 11:01 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

The reason seizureslater thought of this was the fact that the phones seemed to be connected and powered on because when relatives called the passenger's phone, it was ringing. Also, some relatives reported that the passenger's social media accounts would indicate that they were online. I think eventually the phones stopped ringing and they went offline.

It is a completely valid question to wonder why they didn't use Find My iPhone.

Using FIND MY IPHONE to help with locating MH370 casualties?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.