Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Make Gmail the default mailto: link

I need help.

I would like to make gmail my default mailto provider in Safari. Gmail Notifier used to take care of this, but since Google removed that program, I haven't figured out a way to do it.

Right now, Safari will start the Mail app when I want click a mailto: link. I don't want to use the Mail app. I'd like to keep everything web-based.

I don't have any desire to switch to another browser, but if there is no option, I'd have no choice.

Does anyone know of an app or safari extention that will accomplish this?

Thanks

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 10:04 AM

7 replies

Mar 12, 2014 4:32 AM in response to dominic23

No, this will only allow me to choose a platform based email reader. (mail, outlook, etc)

What I would like to happen is when I click an email link, it uses gmail's web based email system.

This is easy to do with firefox and chrome, and used to be easy to do with Safari using Google Notifier, but that program has been discontinued.

I ready where there used to be a safari extention that would accomplish this, but I can't find it anymore either.

I don't want to stop using Safari, but if I can't send an email simply by clicking the link, I will have to. 😟

How to Make Gmail the default mailto: link

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.