Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air Aperture / Remote Storage

Hi

My wife has a Macbook Air with 128GB SSD. The iPhoto Lilbrary is now 73GB and in effect the MBAir has now run out of disk space.

Elsewhere in the household I have a 2007 Aluminium IMac - that's "my" computer - and it runs fine with "my" Iphoto.

So what do we with my wife's IPhoto

- IPhoto - from what I read you can't put that on a NAS (is this true even for the new Synology Play which support HFS+ Read/Write?)

- It is not realistic for her to use a USB or Thunderbolt external hard drive - the laptop moves around the house

- Can her Iphoto Library run "remotely" to either my iMac or a hard drive attached to my iMac (so still wireless, but hosted on an Extended Journaled Hard Drive)

Or

- Move to Aperture? And then relocate the original JPGs to a NAS and keep the Library on the SSD? Would that work? Something working a little slowly is not a major issue - she is not an intensive user

- Buy a Synology and use their own Photo Manager (but she likes iPhoto and has lots of Events setup etc)

She can't be the only user with this kind of situation now.

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 10:08 AM

2 replies

Mar 10, 2014 12:58 PM in response to jsincla1234

The simplest, most foolproof, most happy-making solution:

Put a 500 GB SSD in the MBA. And ask the iPhoto user to be more aggressive weeding photos. (Or, if you don't want to upgrade the MBA, sell it and buy a MBP with more internal storage.)

Not, of course, the least expensive solution -- but still my top suggestion.

Aperture has built-in tools to relocate files that you import into your Library to any directly-attached storage devices. Works great. But Aperture is not iPhoto -- it's much more complex, and cannot be used without spending at least several hours learning how it works -- and, imho, no casual user should adopt it simply because an iPhoto Library no longer fits on their computer's system disk.

From what you've told us, the administrative cost of moving to a new photo management system, and keeping it running well, significantly outweigh the cost of a bigger SSD.

Macbook Air Aperture / Remote Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.