Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Apple keyboard shortcuts not working with Mavericks

Had to buy a new keyboard for my 2010 iMac, which is running Mavericks. However, the F keys on the new keyboard have a slightly different layout than my original. Most notably, the F4 key now opens up Launchpad, whereas it used to show the Dashboard.

The keyboard settings in Preferences is useless because it doesn't match up to the key layout on either keyboard (never has), and re-assigning keys doesn't work. For example, in Preferences, it has brightness controls as F11 and 12, but they've been F1 and F2 on every iMac keyboard I've ever had. (F10-12 is volume control.) Even if I try to re-assign these keys, pressing the key I want does not change the highlighted setting.

So... how do I re-assign F4 to show the Dashboard (which is useful for my many widgets) as opposed to Launchpad (which I never use)?

Thanks! 🙂

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 11:51 AM

Take a look at this discussion to see if it's any help for you.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5841614?answerId=24681006022#24681006022

4 replies

Mar 10, 2014 4:44 PM in response to ikcizokm

Just make F5 as your Dashboard...

System Preferences---> Keyboard---> Shortcuts---> Mission Control---> (check mark Show Dashboard)---> Double click the current state (could be F12). When highlighted, hit the actual key "F5".

From then on, you should be able to hit "F5" and it'll show the Dashboard for you.

I believe there are at least two Apple Wireless keyboard out there. The one that I am on right now shows 6 squares on the F4 key. The other has the dial face on the F4 key. This one also has brightness control for the backlighting on the keyboard, or rather the built-in keyboard of a Mac Book (Air and Pro). Which are on the F5 and F6 keys. Why Apple did that, I have no idea.

You could also use a Hot Corner to open the Dashboard. For instance use the upper left for it.

System Preferences---> Mission Control---> Hot Corners (lower left of the window)---> Select the upper left and scroll to Dashboard.

I personally like to have the Dashboard "fly" over my current screen/desktop. So I unchecked "Show Dashboard a Space."

KOT

New Apple keyboard shortcuts not working with Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.