Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IP Updates...

Is there a way to set up OSX Server to send me the exterenal IP updates on my home network either by an automated email or somehow through the Apple Back to my Mac or Notes system on my iPhone rather than setting up a full blown DYN DNS system. The external IP does not change very often But I need to have a way to get the new one occationally when I am traveling!

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 12:37 PM

4 replies

Mar 10, 2014 2:59 PM in response to mgmccomy

Yes. But you need to automate the process and define a method of notification.

Getting your public address is as simple as this command:

curl -s checkip.dyndns.org

This will give you a raw HTML result. Parse it to isolate your IP address and then you can run a loop that compares it to the previous run. If different, update a log and send an email or other method of notification.

R-

Apple Consultants Network

Apple Professional Services

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Mar 11, 2014 8:57 AM in response to Strontium90

I am not setup with dyndns.org that is the whole point. I want to set up with some of the information available on portable devices. With back to my Mac, and all the push notifications, all of the emails etc there should be a way to get the current public IP back to the portable device and set up the VPN connection. I can get it working at home when I know the IP. I just want to be able to do it if the IP changes. I already do it for short periods away when the IP does not change. One thing I noticed in the setup if you set up VPN it uses one of the same router ports as Back to my Mac. Why is one service neutered when a similar one is used? There are lots of ports they could use!

Mar 11, 2014 10:19 AM in response to mgmccomy

You don't need to be setup with Dyn DNS. They have a responder that you can hit using the curl command. The responder will provide you with the output of your public address. There is no need to use them as a service. You are hitting a public web page and asking for a response.

Once you have the response, you can record it. Then, you can periodically run the command to compare your public address to the previous response. If it is different, you trigger an alert to notify you of the change.

IP Updates...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.