Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport time capsule keeps disconnecting

Hi,

I got my new airport time capsule, in december, the installation was so easy and the stability of the network was wonderfull for a while.

Since 2 weeks ago, it as been a nightmare, the network have been unstable, the WI-FI always disconnect for no apparent reason.

I've been calling my service provider to verify if the signal coming in my cable/modem was the problem, but it wasn't as a mather of fact it's more than perfect.

Here's my setup:

From my modem, I'm connecting to a belkin router directly (of course) in the wan port, from this router one lan connection goes to a printer, on goes to a desktop (win7) and one goes to my airport time capsule (plug directly in the wan port) and from there every wi-fi connection enter the network (1- Macbook pro and 3- Macbook air).

My airport is configure in bridge mode, with a static ip address that correspond as the last ip address available at the end of the range (as it suppose to be in a access point configuration)

After several test, even changing my router, for a new one, for a few days, the wifi and my internet connection keeps dropping for the whole network, for no external apparent reason, but what I notice, is when I start my airport utility apps after a few second like ± 30 sec. suddenly the network restart and the internet connection comes available again for everyones (including the hard wired pc).

From this, I was wondering is there a special setup I should do on my main router, and is there something in particular I should configure in the setup of my airport, so It will stop disconnecting the wifi. but you should considere thought, that it was working wonderfully for a least two month.

Is there a chance the ATC loose it's setup as a mulfunction or a failure and goes out of the network, (just guessing :-) )

I'm just out of idea, I've been setting up network for years now, but this one goes out of my range lol.

thanks in advance

Pierre

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 1:31 PM

7 replies

Mar 10, 2014 5:56 PM in response to MrMagoo63

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Did the trouble start after the update to 10.9.2 as that could be a common thread.

There is nothing basically wrong with your network setup.

What is the model of the belkin? Is it also wireless?

Are you using roaming wireless network? Or TC is using a different wireless setup to Belkin?

Let me strongly recommend you keep wireless names (and TC name) short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.

You might have already done that if you are a network man.. it is most important now on Mavericks which is using SMB networking by default.

After several test, even changing my router, for a new one, for a few days, the wifi and my internet connection keeps dropping for the whole network

Help me understand this.. you changed the belkin??

Your internet connection keeps dropping for the whole network, meaning win7 computer by wired connection to the belkin or whatever brand you used?

Did you try the TC connected directly to the cable modem?

Tracking some of this down is really hard as Apple have now removed any logs or info from the AC routers.

You can still get some access to the logs via v5.6 utility I believe. That might help.

I would like you to use one of the other LAN ports on the TC.. in bridge you can use any port to plug it into the main router.

Keep your eye on the connectivity LED on both routers.. to make sure the connection is not dropping.. that should show up in the belkin log if the TC link is down.. or you can ping it from the win7 computer.

Mar 10, 2014 8:41 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hi Lapastenague,

I was hoping you were the one answering my distress call. lol

Did the trouble start after the update to 10.9.2 as that could be a common thread.

Yes but only like 2 or 3 weeks after

What is the model of the belkin? Is it also wireless?

Its F5D8235-4 v2 udated with the last firmware, I'm only useing it as a regular Router, so the radio signal are all off.

Are you using roaming wireless network?

Yes I am

Or TC is using a different wireless setup to Belkin?

the TC is on the same network

Let me strongly recommend you keep wireless names (and TC name) short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.

Thank you for this advice, because the name of the TC is by degault quite long i.e. (AirPort Time Capsule de Pierre ) wich I think is quite long :-)

You might have already done that if you are a network man.. it is most important now on Mavericks which is using SMB networking by default.

Yes I verify that everything was in order and it was.

Help me understand this.. you changed the belkin??

Yes I did for a netgear wndr4000, that I configure with the same setting ans it did the same thing and even worst, so I changed back to the belkin router.

Your internet connection keeps dropping for the whole network, meaning win7 computer by wired connection to the belkin or whatever brand you used?

exactly! everyone on the network lost the Internet for a little while sometimes for a minute or two but sometimes for as long as 45min to one hour.

Did you try the TC connected directly to the cable modem?

No! my TC is directly connected to The belkin router.

I would like you to use one of the other LAN ports on the TC.. in bridge you can use any port to plug it into the main router.

I did that and to my surprise the TC went crazy, it disconnect itself from the network after giving me several error message. I was very surprise it did that, so I unplug it again and It gives me the same result, so I put it back to the wan port.

Keep your eye on the connectivity LED on both routers.. to make sure the connection is not dropping.. that should show up in the belkin log if the TC link is down.. or you can ping it from the win7 computer.

I did that too and the connectivity light went amber only on TC and on the belkin router everything seems normal. but one thing thought I iddn't think watching the log on the router, but since I did a few reset there is nothing helpfull in it.

The UpNp is enable on the belkin router, do you think It can be a problem ?

I was also thinking, that maybe the TC was failing, maybe due to a power failure or something like that.

#

What do you think.?

And again thank you for answering my post I really appreciate it

Pierre

Mar 11, 2014 1:18 AM in response to MrMagoo63

I did that and to my surprise the TC went crazy, it disconnect itself from the network after giving me several error message. I was very surprise it did that, so I unplug it again and It gives me the same result, so I put it back to the wan port.

This one is the clue.. and you know what,, I have seen it..

And I also do not know the cause. I had a person complain with the issue and I got him to post me the TC and it was just as bad in my setup.. something has gone severely wrong to cause it to bomb the whole network.

What is worse I do not have a solution.

If I changed the mode of the TC to extend wireless it worked just fine.. but bridge caused network to drop out.

I can only suggest you use the TC in a different mode.

This has been working very well for me.

(Unless you do use the TC directly on the modem and move the belkin to work as secondary router).

Here is what I have been using to avoid bridge.

Set the main router IP range to something less than the whole range..

Let me use my actual setup.

At the moment I have a gargoyle router.

I set the DHCP range to a bit less than normal.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

That leaves me a few IP addresses down low for devices that I might want to use directly on the main router, eg printers.

Then I can set the TC to use static IP. So I choose the next address from the main router.

User uploaded file

Set Network to DHCP only.. and set a suitable range for you clients.

User uploaded file

I have the lease time set very short 1hr in both the main router and the TC.

Then setup wireless to create a wireless network.

User uploaded file

The wifi is getting the IP and DNS info from the TC.

User uploaded file

The computer shows as getting IP from the TC.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

This setup is not routing.. if I do a traceroute to say google I do not have double NAT.

traceroute 8.8.8.8

traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets

1 192.168.2.254 (192.168.2.254) 4.200 ms 4.187 ms 3.246 ms

2 adsl1.mel02.eftel.com (203.123.69.176) 25.910 ms 26.349 ms 25.487 ms

3 te0-0-0-306.core0.mel02.eftel.com (203.123.72.65) 26.079 ms 25.219 ms 27.129 ms

4 ve420.er01.mel01.eftel.com (14.137.114.25) 27.159 ms 28.917 ms 30.965 ms

5 eth2-1.bdr01.syd02.eftel.com (202.62.143.121) 48.727 ms 40.152 ms 39.177 ms

6 as15169.ve223-vpls138.bdr01.syd02.eftel.com (202.62.154.118) 38.177 ms 38.184 ms 41.692 ms

7 72.14.237.21 (72.14.237.21) 40.207 ms * 40.379 ms

8 google-public-dns-a.google.com (8.8.8.8) 41.320 ms 39.160 ms 40.456 ms

So this setup might work for you and stop the problem.

Mar 11, 2014 11:37 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you LaPastenague,

I was writing, so far so good, when suddenly everyones shout at me saying there is no more internet :-( lol

so I just erase in the lan dhcp client list, all the reserved ip address, then I restart the router again then the TC. and now everything seems to work perfectly.

So now I can say, so far so good 😀 but as you know we will be sure that everything is holding on in a day or two. But I think your solution was the best we can do with that TC.

thanks again for everything.

Pierre

Mar 11, 2014 2:22 PM in response to MrMagoo63

Please do report back.. I think it should be stable.

It is a setup that allows you to change DNS.. and so get a roku working for overseas TV.. which is why I do it.

But I have since realised it is actually a neat setup. Rather too difficult to explain so I am glad you followed the description.

I was writing, so far so good, when suddenly everyones shout at me saying there is no more internet :-( lol

😁

It is the nature of the beast.. they want excellent stable fast internet connections.. but you are supposed to do modifcations at 3AM so you don't upset their downloading youtube videos. Or updating of facebook pages.. with oh so important selfie..

I have learned to blame the ISP.. sorry family the ISP has dropped out again. 👿

airport time capsule keeps disconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.