Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mystery Cellular Data Connection at 1:30am

The last time I paid my ATT bill online I notices some cellular data connections which didn't make sense to me. I did a quick Google search and that led me to the truth that:

1)With my first point, I was going to take a jab at Lawrence Finch for making a reply to explain how 5040KB do not equal 1/2 GB, but that's just not my style... Lawrence, I explained that I observed SEVERAL data connection reports totaling over 1/2GB, and that LAST NIGHT, after resetting, I observed 5040 KB... I think you were a little to quick to look over the top of your glasses my friend. 😉

I do appreciate your useful feedback on the real topic issue, and you're correct about starting a new thread.

2) More importantly, I learned that the MTSO switches, as I understand this, are reporting summaries of data usage at certain times, and the reports I see on my account usage page are not individual connections or transfers.

truerock, in response to your questions:

mjmsbrown,

I have been studying this issue.

A couple of questions...

At night when you reset your statistics, are any apps running on your iPhone... that is, do you shut-down all running apps before you re-set cell-data statistics?

Last night was the first night I reset the statistic, and I purposefully did not shut down any app (I am familiar with the procedure) because I wanted to see which one was making a connection at night. I now believe that none were, and that the majority of the 5040KB of data I saw on the ATT usage page was from data connections made earlier in the night PRIOR to when I reset the statistics. I will actually stay up tonight and reset the statistic at 01:00am and track data usage for 24 hours under the SETTING, CELLULAR screen on my iphone to see if it matches. I have a hunch that is does, and that I'm in an uproar about absolutely nothing...

I also use ATT. When I look at my cell-data usage at:

https://www.att.com/olam/displayUsageDetails.myworld?isWebTabInFocus=true&select edCtn=xxxxxxxxxx

the usage data is about 2 hours behind real time. How many hours is your ATT detail data-usage behind real-time?

Honestly, I don't know, and I think this is a little further in depth than I need to go at this point.

When you say "turning the phone off" are you putting the iPhone to sleep by briefly pushing the power-button or powering-off the iPhone by holding the power-button down for 5 seconds?

You're correct, I was far too vague and misleading in my post, thank you for asking respectfully. I was putting the phone to sleep, intentionally, because I had intended to "spy" on my apps using the SETTING, CELLULAR screen. I no longer believe that is necessary, but I'm going to do it for a couple nights just for fun, and because I like math...

But, anyway... to answer your question... If the ATT detail cell-data usage report says your phone used 5040KB at 1:46am I would think you would have to see that on your iPhone cell-data usage screen.

When I wrote the first post I would have agreed with you, but now as I understand the "summaries" principle outlined in my first response, I think it was there, but I reset it to zero. I think the only way to get the ATT usage page and the SETTING, CELLULAR screen totals to match is to reset statistics just prior to the cutoff time that the MTSO switch reports to ATT (I'm guessing 01:00am ish) and then total all the connection reports for that day on the ATT web page, and the SETTINGS, CELLULAR screen on my phone for a 24 hour period. Honestly, now that I've been enlightened on this, my motivation level is pretty low. I don't think there's any funny business going on here. I think the data is legit, and I just didn't understand how it worked.

Thanks for the replies!

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 2:07 PM

2 replies

Mar 10, 2014 7:32 PM in response to mjmsbrown

As I commented in the other thread, I thought I was having the same issues with my provider Optus in Australia.

I followed the advice of a poster who replied to me (below).

I went from MB of unexplained usage to 4 regular data usages each day about/sometimes exactly 6 hours apart.

When I haven't used the phone they range from 12kbs to around 150kbs.

The issue is the iPhone not the provider. Depending on the settings, data is downloaded to whereever.

Considering the angst that this issue is giving people, and the need to be relatively sophisticated to solve the issue, I'm a tad outraged that Apple is not addressing the issue and providing the average user with sufficient information to minimise data usage.

How I dropped my data usage!

I found more information that may help, Apple also collects user information for "improving services" and "marketing purposes" ...changing these settings can help reduce data transfers, save battery life and protect your privacy.

Settings->Safari-> under 'Privacy & Security'

Turn On the 'Do Not Track'

Under 'Block Cookies' select 'From third parties & advertisers'

Settings->Privacy->Advertising

Turn On the 'Limit Ad Tracking'

Then press the 'Reset Advertising Identifier' and press 'Reset' in the pop up.

Settings->Privacy->Location Services->System Services

Turn Off the 'Diagnostics & Usage'

Turn Off the 'Location-Based iAds'

Turn Off the 'Popular Near Me'

Turn Off the 'Frequent Locations' (Only listed on Some Devices)

Turn On the 'Status Bar Icon'. (You can then see which apps are using GPS)

Settings->General-> under 'Background App Refresh'

Turn Off the 'Background App Refresh'

Settings->General->About->Diagnostics & Usage

Check the 'Don't Send'

Mystery Cellular Data Connection at 1:30am

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.