Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does it make a difference what type of image a button is?

After this latest update for Mavericks two problems have popped up making a DVD. First has already been mentioned, the drop-down menus to change the color of a button is now blank. Second, and more importantly the graphic/button does not change states. I am using a .png as the graphic (a red shape) with an alpha channel. I would like it to change to yellow when selected; activated could be something else.

I re-installed DVDSP as suggested in another post, but the problem(s) are still there.

Does it make a difference what sort of file type I use?

Mac Pro (Early 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 3:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 6:05 AM

Have you ever done this in dvdsp installed on a earlier OS? I think that what you want to use is a white on black image without an alpha channel and let dvdsp add the color. You import this image in dvdsp and assign it as the overlay file for the menu. It's been a while since I've done this, but if this isn't clear to you post back and I'll walk thru the steps.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2014 6:05 AM in response to WilliamL

Have you ever done this in dvdsp installed on a earlier OS? I think that what you want to use is a white on black image without an alpha channel and let dvdsp add the color. You import this image in dvdsp and assign it as the overlay file for the menu. It's been a while since I've done this, but if this isn't clear to you post back and I'll walk thru the steps.

Mar 11, 2014 10:44 AM in response to WilliamL

I sometimes build menus in photoshop. I create a layer with a white image of the buttons in position on layer and then put a black layer directly below it. I then save it as a pict, or tiff or whatever. I then open the exported pict in photoshop and invert the colors so I have a black on white image and save it. I then bring that into dvdsp and set that as my overlay layer. I then marquee the area where each button is to create a button in the menu and then set the highlight states appropriately.

I usually just use dvdsp text for buttons while I'm designing the navigation and make the photoshop file once that's been approved.

If any of this isn't clear, let me know and I'll try and explain it in more detail.

Mar 13, 2014 1:23 PM in response to Michael Grenadier

Sorry it has taken me so long go get back to this discussion. I found in the Apple Pro Training Series, DVD Studio Pro 4, an exercise on how to make a PSD file with a base layer, then an overlay layer. Imported that into DVDSP and everything worked as advertised. I was able to re-create the PSD file with my own background and overlay shape layer. I then tried to create, in ACORN (not Photoshop) a single overlay layer file as an experiment. It did not work even though the overlay file was set properly. Do the button shapes have to be black on the overlay file? What if I wanted to start with red?

Mar 13, 2014 1:39 PM in response to WilliamL

Create a layer in your photoshop file like thisUser uploaded file

These black lines become underlines when the file is definied as the overlay layer in the overlay file in the general tab of the menu inspector. You just marquee around the active area for the button and define the selected hilight color in the button inspector. Should work for whatever shape you want.

Mar 15, 2014 9:06 AM in response to WilliamL

Hi Michael,

I am back and still struggling with the overlay issue. According to the DVDSP manual the overlay can include one of the four basic colors (black, red, blue, etc) Everything I have red says that the normal state can be the acutal color of the graphic shape in the Overlay file. I have tried to make an overlay with a red square but that doesn't seem to work. Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Does it make a difference what type of image a button is?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.