Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corruption line/s on tiff file after ftp file transfer ?

Anyone seen this when transferring image files via ftp ?

User uploaded file

It's a 1 bit tiff file - colour plate from a 6 colour print job - this is the yellow plate. One section about 2.3 mm deep over the whole width of the image has moved to the right. File/s were delivered via an ftp site, computer in question and old G5 which is only used for file transfers. System 10.5.8, disk checked remotely as this machine is in another suburb in the print plant. Permissions looked ok and Verify disk run without issue.

Same file downloads locally off the ftp site OK but if the downloaded file is brought over the corruption is viewable - (and 2 computers locally noticed slow downs after downloading the file???) - that was strange !

Love to hear that someone else has seen this but have a feeling we have a "Special" problem !

Thanks in advance ...

Mitch

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 4:31 PM

7 replies

Mar 10, 2014 5:26 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the reply ... to explain further ...

Ive downloaded the original file on 3 machines locally here off the same ftp server, 2 mac pros and a MBPro 3 different OS's 10.6, 10.7 and my 10.9. Downloading exact same file from the ftp server onto these machines we find no corruption line.

To check if we're going mad ... highly likely ... I uploaded the corrupt file from site back to the server in a different directory and then downloaded that on the same 3 machines and the corruption line shows up.

Line can be in different places always about 2.3 mm deep and width of the plate image.

Have decided Im going for a drive to the site with my trusty external boot drive and will use the disk utils locally to see if anything shows up ...

We're using Photoshop to view the file, issue here being the plate files are sent to a plate setter and this issue has shown up on the press, so it's inherantly in the image file ...

Mar 11, 2014 8:45 PM in response to BDAqua

Just an update ...

I went out to the site the machine lives and did the usual tests with Disk Util, Disk Warrior and finally Techtool Pro (booting from external drive). Found NO issues with any component until I did a SMART test on the drive. Techtool showed a couple of areas of concern, no fails but it peeked my interest and found a util called Smart Utility from Volitans Software - if there's something better let me know, keeping in mind this is a PPC mac hence I had to find something to work on that Processor - immediately warned of an imminent drive failure.

So your tip "or drive" ... seems to be the culprit.

New HD being purchased, pity I have to buy 500Gb or a TB for a machine that only needs 160Gb !!!

Thanks again !

Mitch

Corruption line/s on tiff file after ftp file transfer ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.