Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a Mini DisplayPort extension cable?

So I've been searching for the best solution to this problem of 'the Cinema Display cables are way too short' for some time now and am yet to find a definitive answer to the problem (Hello?! Apple?! You make the Mac Pro, you make Cinema Displays for use with it, HOW ABOUT MAKING THE CABLES LONG ENOUGH TO COMFORTABLY REACH IT?!).

I've just come across a bundled Mini DisplayPort and USB male to female 6ft extension cable made by a company called Atlona. I'm yet to buy a couple and test them, if I do I'll get back to you with the results. However, as far as I've seen they are the only manufacturers of such a cable that claim to test all their cables intended for use with Apple products in the Apple Lab in California. This to me sounds promising. They also make a solo Mini DisplayPort male to female 6ft extension cable, which I have ordered as I've already bought a couple of decent USB 2.0 extensions that I'm currently using.

You can find them here:

http://atlona.futureshop.co.uk/atlona-6ft-mini-displayport-usb-malefemale-extens ion-cable-p-4467.html

And the non-bundled one I found on eBay, here (though I don't know if it'll always be available):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6FT-Mini-Display-Port-Male-Female-Extension-Cable-for- MAC-Tested-in-Apple-Lab-/190834612124?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2c6ea 1179c

There are several other manufacturers making Mini DisplayPort extension cables, some bundled with USB extensions (all of which don't seem to be certified 2.0 or 3.0) and some not. The first ones I tried were made by kanex - don't waste your time with these, I sent them straight back. The audio, which came through the USB cable, even though one of the Apple "Geniuses" said it should be coming through the Mini DisplayPort, came out all crackling and distorted.

Please let me know if anyone has tried or owns the Atlona bundled cable if they are worth purchasing, and also if anyone has had any positive or negative experiences or recommendations of any other brands' Mini DisplayPort extension cables.

Thanks.

Mac Pro (Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 2x 24" Apple Cinema Displays

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 5:52 PM

1 reply

Is there a Mini DisplayPort extension cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.