Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11.1.5.5 with Windows 8: no longer recognizes iphone 5, itouch 5, ipod nano gen 6 and ipod nano gen 7

Tried the troubleshooting guide, though it was for windows 7 and earlier operating systems; is there a trouble shooting guide for windows 8 I am missing?

finally uninstalled and reinstalled itunes on my computer but still, no devices are recognized.

Given all the posts I see, is this a known bug at this point in this version of iTunes and will there be another version coming out to address this?

Windows 8, iTunes 11.1.5.5

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 5:34 PM

14 replies

Mar 10, 2014 5:40 PM in response to kauilikemaui

finally uninstalled and reinstalled itunes on my computer but still, no devices are recognized.

Doublechecking. Have you tried a complete uninstall of both iTunes and all the other related software components and then a reinstall? If not, try the instructions from the following document:

Removing and reinstalling iTunes and other software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

Mar 10, 2014 6:08 PM in response to kauilikemaui

any other ideas?

Issues with the drivers installed by Apple Mobile Device Support can also ramify through to the nanos. (Even though they're not iOS devices, they do use some of the features of the drivers.)

So, just in case (if you haven't done so already), try the procedure in Cerbu's post:

Re: sync problem

... or try section 5 from the following document:

TS1538: iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

Mar 10, 2014 6:56 PM in response to kauilikemaui

someone wrote:

Issues with the drivers installed by Apple Mobile Device Support can also ramify through to the nanos. (Even though they're not iOS de

vices, they do use some of the features of the drivers.)

So, just in case (if you haven't done so already), try the procedure in Cerbu's post:

Re: sync problem

... or try section 5 from the following document:

TS1538: iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows

I already tried the first suggestion; just tried the second. nothing.

Mar 10, 2014 10:30 PM in response to kauilikemaui

I am having this same problem ever since the new itunes and ios 7.1 with my iphone 5. I am using windows 8.

I have tried every single troubleshooting step on the KB. Apple support told me to "contact windows"at this point... hopefully they actually patch it because this is pathetic. The phone shows up in devices and my computer as apple iphone, just not in itunes.

I would also like to add that my iphone does connect and show up in itunes on my computer running windows 7/vista.

Mar 11, 2014 5:36 PM in response to iamsliske

i also tried this again just now; tried yesterday. nothing. even started from scratch: rebooted computer. uninstalled itunes and associated files. reinstalled itunes (v11.1.5.5) then plugged in devices (working with 2 ipod nanos 6th gen, 2 ipod touches 5th gen, 1 iphone 5c) and nothing. for any of the devices. device drives are up to date.

seriously - this isn't recognized as a bug to be fixed with a patch by apple? wow.

Mar 12, 2014 5:50 AM in response to kauilikemaui

try this

go into the control panel (hover in the lower right corner to bring up the menu that leads you there)

go to programs, add/remove programs

uninstall iTunes, apple mobile device service, apple application support

then go out and redownload and reinstall iTunes. Try again to sync

There seems to be something where an iTunes update doesn't write over all the drivers. The only way to m ake it write the right drivers is to delete the old ones and force iTunes to start over.

You won't lose any of your music.

It worked for me when my iTUnes wouldn't see my touch or iPad.

Mar 12, 2014 9:32 PM in response to kauilikemaui

OK. i tried one more time and it worked. The difference is I uninstalled apple mobile device service, apple application support IN ADDITION to iTunes. this worked. thank you!

(Giggle) But that's what I suggested you do in my initial reply to you, kauilikemaui. I linked you to instructions saying how to do that. You said in reply that you had already done that ... Here's your very words:

yes, sadly, I did. no luck. thanks for checking in though. any other ideas?

iTunes 11.1.5.5 with Windows 8: no longer recognizes iphone 5, itouch 5, ipod nano gen 6 and ipod nano gen 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.