Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does iTunes keep rearranging my movies?

I like my movies arranged in my own order, but iTunes does not give that option. My solution is to sort by genre, then by year. Then, by giving each movie or series of movies it's own custom genre, iTunes will sort them in my own custom order. However, every time I reopen iTunes or wait a few days before playing something, it takes random movies and places them randomly in the list. No information has changed, as I can get info and close the info box to resort it to its proper place, but it would be nice to not have.to do that all the time as I do have a fairly large library. I know it's not a common problem, but any help would be appreciated.

Mac mini (Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 6:00 PM

6 replies

Mar 10, 2014 6:24 PM in response to samwise90

samwise90 wrote:

I like my movies arranged in my own order, but iTunes does not give that option. My solution is to sort by genre, then by year.

Select Movies.

Click List in the tabs at top.

iTunes menu View > Show column browser.

Click on Year column header to sort.

Select a Genre at top and you will see only that genre sorted by year.

Jun 25, 2014 3:07 AM in response to samwise90

As near as I can figure, iTunes only re-sorts your movies when you're signed in to the store, because it compares the original tags to what you've done and then "fixes" things for you. This wouldn't be so annoying if it didn't use completely irrelevant data to do what it does (its default seems to be to sort by either artist or album, neither of which is likely to be anyone's first choice -- who would ever want the Harry Potter movies to be organized by director?), but it is what it is. Go to the Store menu and sign out, and it will stop re-sorting. Just bear in mind that when you sign back in -- to make a purchase or redeem a digital copy -- it will seize the opportunity to reorganize everything you've done.

Jul 22, 2014 2:53 PM in response to samwise90

Is this not the issue where store purchases revert back to the genre it downloaded with?

Same thing was happening to my purchased movies and I had to drag them out of iTunes, re-add the metadata with an app called Subler, then drag them back in again which solved the problem.

iTunes needs a fair bit of manual massaging when your library grows. Mine is currently 6TB and it's been an admin nightmare for months and I am not going anywhere near 11.3 as I've only just got it how I want it, finally.

Dec 6, 2014 7:59 AM in response to samwise90

I want to know what is up with this as well. I have a VERY large movie collection and like to have my movies sorted in very specific genres. Everytime I get it arranged I come back and iTunes has put them back there they do not belong IMO. AKA: Star Trek should not be in action & adventure.

Anyway we can turn off iTune rearranging the movies so I can have the sorted in the genres I want?

why does iTunes keep rearranging my movies?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.