Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a bad download cause my spin retry cycle to suddenly fail?

Hey everyone,

So I recently left for a few days on vacation and my younger sibling was using my macbook pro while I was gone. Well, they were downloading something and all of the sudden application stopped and internet cut out. The Internet wouldnt come back for 6 hours (thats how long it took them to fix it!). He was afraid and stopped using my computer (im guessing he was using utorrent or something equally stupid). Well, when i came back and started to use my macbook, it would not stop screen freezing. I get the beach ball of death CONSTANTLY, and its become a terrible hindrance to my university work.

So after trying everything, I downloaded techtool pro 7. I have used the Smart function, and was astonished to see that everything was perfect except one category. Spin retry cycle is very high, to the point where its almost failing. After smacking my sibling around in anger (kidding), i now come to everyone here for some solutions! I have read that spin retry cycle is a imminent indication to hard drive failure, but I really cant see how this is possible. My macbook was PERFECT before I left. All my sibling did was do the download, have the download suddenly freeze, have the internet cut out for some reason, and then in fear shut down my computer. The freezing started immediately after this "frozen download". Could this spin cycle warning be from something other than hard drive failure? Like I said, this was an overnight thing. Perfect to freezing. Could the download have corrupted a file or fragmented a file to cause this? Is there any possible way other than replacing the whole hard drive to fix this? Will defraging help?

Thank you so much for your time!!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 7:25 PM

16 replies

Mar 10, 2014 10:25 PM in response to Ianhawaii

Defrag will not work, HFS+ works differently than Windows NTFS
Macs have background processes that maintain the index/folder structure to reduce fragmentation.

Corrupt download files will not affect physical performance of the disk

If a computer is dropped while running, that will be a good probable cause as to why the disk is on the brink of dying.

Put an SSD in there, will make a world of a difference!

Mar 11, 2014 1:05 PM in response to chattphotos

Thank you!

However I just got a peculiar update. I share internet (wifi) with a apartmnet block. My friend who lives there, and has a mac, recently has been getting the freezing problems as well (exactly like mine). Guess when it started? The moment the internet died as well!

Very peculiar. I have run anti virus tests and nada.

Any thoughts?

Mar 11, 2014 1:23 PM in response to Ianhawaii

That is strange... but there's no known software glitch/bug that will cause something like what you've described.

I'd say, write off the disks and put in a new SSD. The speed gained will overshadow anything that a hard drive can do.

Also, this may be a bit of a long shot, but check your fonts, see if there are any missing/duplicate/corrupt inside Font Book.

Mar 11, 2014 3:37 PM in response to Ianhawaii

Allow me to say that it is far too early to write off the hard drive. You should first try some basic diagnostics.

But to give any suggestions for recovering from this situation you need to tell us what version of Mac OS X you are running. If it is 10.7 or higher, you can try booting to recovery, and repairing the hard drive:

http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/

Post back if you need more than Apple tells you on that page.

Mar 11, 2014 5:08 PM in response to Ianhawaii

When you boot with command and r (two keys) you will see the screen that is on the link I provided.

1. Click Disk Utility, and then click Continue.
  2. In the list at the left, select the item you want to repair. (Be sure to select an item that’s indented to the right in the list, not an item at the far left.)
  3. Click First Aid.
  4. If Disk Utility tells you the disk is about to fail, back it up and replace it. You can’t repair it.
  5. Click Repair Disk.If Disk Utility reports that the disk appears to be OK or has been repaired, you’re done.
  6. Quit DU and restart as usual.

You do not lose anything on your computer, This is a process of checking the start up hard drive and making necessary repairs.

Mar 11, 2014 9:59 PM in response to Ianhawaii

If the Safari reset or Font check doesn't help, the issue is either at the software (OS X) or hardware (hard drive) level. In the IT world it all comes down to how much time you want to spend dealing with/fixing the problem.

This is a shot in the dark, but create a new user account, see how the performance is.

The last thing in my bag of tricks is to re-install the MacOS.

Run a Time Machine backup to an external hard drive first.
Be sure that you have all of your licence keys and installers for any paid software.

Then boot up in recovery and connect to the internet

Erase the disk

Run the MacOS installer.

Otherwise, if performance is not better with a fresh Lion installation, get a new disk

Mar 12, 2014 8:17 PM in response to chattphotos

Hey sorry to reply again,

but when it freezes, its almost like its loading something? It will freeze and when i hit volume up or down, nothing will happen. Then 10 seconds later it will unfreeze and do EVERYTHING i told it to do while frozen. If it freezes while i type, it will stop, and if i continue to type it will write everything down once it unfreezes. Almost like its not frozen but trying to load something and then backlogs all my commands during that period.

Is this consistent with a failing hard drive?

Ive done the whole CPU activity monitor but during the freezes my CPU is not high at all. When it unfreezes my cpu shoots up, but only to about 60% ish.

Any last thoughts on the matter?

Can a bad download cause my spin retry cycle to suddenly fail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.