Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7.1 upgrade - iPhone 5 not synching (Windows 8.1 PC)

I just upgrade my iPhone 5 and iPad, but neither are synching. I have the newest iTunes and according I have restarted all apple applications (i.e. Mobile). I'm troubleshooting now.

Every time I plug in my phone - I get the Trust This Computer message. I do trust, but it doesn't accept it. If you know the answer, that'd be wonderful. Thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1, Windows 8.1

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 9:50 PM

7 replies

Mar 12, 2014 4:45 AM in response to groovymoviegirl_chan

I've not tried syncing my iphone yet with my macbook, but I have tried to plug my iphone 5 (iOS 7.1) into my computer in work (Windows XP).

Until recently I was able to plug phone in and access my photos on it. I tried the same today (first attempt since upgrading to iOS 7.1) and when I plug it in i get the "trust this computer", I hit "trust" and then within a few seconds the battery goes back to being white (ie not charging or connected) and then a few seconds after that I get the "trust this computer" message again.

Currently downloading itunes to see if this helps!

Mar 12, 2014 5:45 AM in response to groovymoviegirl_chan

For your win 8 box

go into the control panel (hover in the lower right corner to bring up the menu that leads you there)

go to programs, add/remove programs

uninstall iTunes, apple mobile device service, apple application support

then go out and redownload and reinstall iTunes. Try again to sync

There seems to be something where an iTunes update doesn't write over all the drivers. The only way to m ake it write the right drivers is to delete the old ones and force iTunes to start over.

You won't lose any of your music.

Mar 12, 2014 7:20 AM in response to groovymoviegirl_chan

I have Windows 8.1 64. Upgraded my iphone 5 to 7.1 version. My laptop did not recognize the iphone. After a couple of hours of tring to figure out why the laptop and iphone weren't syncing, these are the steps I followed. Most are pieced together from suggestions on various websites. Don't know if all steps are necessary, but it's what I did and it worked for me.

I did this first: Uninstall and reinstall itunes.

Reboot computer and iphone (turn off the on again)

Then, go to control panel and "repair" all apple apps.

Go to Device Manager on computer.

Go to Universial Serial Bus Controllers and look for "Apple Mobile Sevice USB Driver (Before "repairing" the apple apps, this did not appear on my laptop).

Right-click the Apple iPhone in Device Manager and select Update Drive.

Click "Browse my computer for driver software."

Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer."

Click the "Have Disk button"

At the "Install from Disk" click Browse button.

Go to the following folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers and Click OK.

Click Next and finish the driver-installation steps.

You should then see the "Apple Mobile Service USB Driver in the Device Manager now.

Open itunes and hopefully the iphone and Windows 8.1 laptop will sync (a dialogue box will appear on the iphone 5 asking you to "trust" the computer. Select Trust.)

If this doesn't work, try rebooting your computer and turning off your iphone and then turn it back on.

Good Luck. It shouldn't be this time-consuming.

Mar 12, 2014 11:41 PM in response to groovymoviegirl_chan

Hi. I had the same problem. I have iphone 4 32gb and am using Windows 8.1 After 7.1 software update, itunes did not recognize my iphone and kept asking trust/dont trust this computer, I selected Trust, but nothing happened. I uninstalled and reinstalled itunes and stillhad the problem. However, I then uninstalled not only itunes but Apple Mobile Device Support, Apple Software Update and Apple Application Support also. I reinstalled them after. Turned off and on my iphone and computer. Then before I connect my phone I repaired them above. (I believe that was unnecesary though after reinstalling freshly.) I connected my iphone by usb and now problem is gone. Itunes recognizes my phone again and now I am syncing normally. I believe the problem is somehow apple mobile device support and application support do not update itself so they need to be reinstalled, not only ITunes.

This is how I fixed it, hope it will work for you as well. Good Luck.

Mar 31, 2014 6:27 AM in response to groovymoviegirl_chan

I had this problem too with my iPhone 5 that began when I upgraded to iOS 7.1. I click "trust" on both a Windows 7 work computer, and my PC with Windows 8.1 and it wouldn't sync or let me copy photos.

Following this thread I began with uninstalling "Apple Mobile Device Support". The moment that finished the iPhone was instantly detected and I could pull photos and sync again. I didn't even uninstall anything else nor did I reinstall anything. I'm just going to leave it without that installed, everything is fixed.

Now if only the iPhone could have a full file manager and not just photos.

Apr 12, 2014 10:42 PM in response to MauricioSch

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling itunes but that did nothing. Checking the driver for Apple Mobile Device Support, it had a version from 2006. So I updated the driver by choosing the "search online" option and it automatically found and installed the latest version from 2012. As soon as that was installed, itunes recognized the iphone.

no need to reboot anything. try updating the driver first and if that doesnt work, try the other steps...

iOS 7.1 upgrade - iPhone 5 not synching (Windows 8.1 PC)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.