Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need Help ASAP! Macbook pro is really hot and won't turn on

I left my macbook pro in sleep mode and on my bed when I went to shower. When I got back and went to move my computer it was extremely hot and the vent was blowing high speed. My computer will not turn on or do anything for that matter. The white light in front is still functioning though. It's been about a half hour now and it is still very hot and the fan repeatedly turns on and off, but the computer will not cool down. I'm starting to smell burnt or melting plastic and do not want to go to bed until I can get it under control. Any advice would be amazing!

Thank you!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 11:32 PM

1 reply

Mar 11, 2014 12:09 AM in response to ashleynader

I left my macbook pro in sleep mode and on my bed

That is a big "no-no!"

According to the user manual it states in part:

"Do not operate your MacBook Pro on a pillow or other soft material, as the material can block the airflow vents. Never place anything over the keyboard when operating your MacBook Pro. Never push objects into the ventilation openings."

MacBook Pro: Care, Use, and Safety Information

"Do not place your MacBook Pro on your lap or other body surface for extended periods of time. Prolonged body contact can cause discomfort and potentially a burn."

My computer will not turn on or do anything for that matter. The white light in front is still functioning though.

If your comp is off, you should not be seeing the white light.

I'm starting to smell burnt or melting plastic and do not want to go to bed until I can get it under control.

If you are still under warranty and/or have AppleCare, call them. Let them deal w/it.

OOW: Take your Mac to your local Apple Store or an AASP. Diagnostic testing is FREE!

User Tip: How to deal with MacBook Pro and MacBook heat

User uploaded file

Need Help ASAP! Macbook pro is really hot and won't turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.