Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What in God's name is X11

and why do I need it to install Free Video Converter from Apple Store on my brand new iMac???

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 12:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 7:32 AM

A quick Google search would have resulted in several links about the X Window System. It appears that the application uses it for whatever reason (probably a cross-platform thing), but since X11 is no longer included with OS X, a separate install will be needed if you want to use that particular program.

11 replies

Mar 11, 2014 8:09 AM in response to SamWeller

Red Menace,

I'm sure you think you have informed me about the issue. All a foreign language to me. My question is why is there an app at Apple Store that is free that requires some kind of additional program to opperate developed and offered by I don't know who? Is the Free Vid Converter an Apple program? Have had 3 miserable months dealing with the bugs and crashes of Maverick update. Just starting to smooth out. What is the protocol for apps in the Apple Store if not to seamlessly interface with its own computer?

That's not your problem. Spent 2 hrs on this issue, and know nothing more than when started.

The links you provided didn't help. But I thank you for your time.

Mar 11, 2014 8:21 AM in response to SamWeller

The X Window System is a different way of managing the windows that you see when you use your Mac. The two systems aren't completely compatible. The reason why the app you wanted is in the App Store but needs the X Window System is that X was included until (I believe) Mavericks, so it wouldn't have been can issue, and things would have worked seamlessly just like you expect.

As others have stated, installing X will fix the problem with the app. I've never done that on a Mac before, so I'll leave that explanation to those who have. But perhaps this gives a tiny bit of background for you.

Mar 11, 2014 8:53 AM in response to SamWeller

Unfortunately, computers (like cars, televisions, ping-pong paddles, and just about anything else involving technology), require a certain amount of knowlege, even if it is just to know what the words mean. The graphical user interface (the screen images and mouse stuff) is not something that is just there, it takes a lot of different people create it, so there are many different systems and versions in use.

X11 is one of those different systems, and was originally a part of the standard OS X installation, since it is used in various other UNIX-like systems, and was probably used by the developer as a way to avoid having to make several different versions of the application. Currently X11 is not included, so it would be up to the developer to either update the application or inform potential customers of its requirements.

Most applications in the App Store are not from Apple - the product page provides information about the particular application, including the seller/developer. Apple gives applications a quick test to make sure that they run and follow the App Store guidelines when they are first submitted, but the developer would be responsible for keeping up with new OS releases.

Mar 11, 2014 5:44 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, I thought as much. I'm in process of editing video with Adbbe Premiere Pro 5.5 with footage from 2 cameras -- one, a DSLR, provides clips that run on the timeline without a hitch; the other, a Panasonic camcorder, provides clips that cause program freezes, stutters, and eventually crashes. After a considerable number of trials and errors, I found that the Pan Cam footage has a media start of 10 hrs etc., and I surmise Premiere is searching for the start of the clip which isn't in the metadata anywhere. So I converted the clips to various formats, all of which have a media start of 00:00 etc., and when put into the timeline behave without a glitch. The trick for me is to convert the footage, (which is MOV for each cam), from the Pan Cam into a MOV file that has a media start of 00:00 etc. In other words finding a converter that wipes out the metadata, and keeps the MOV extension.

I thought I'd try the Apple Store Free Vid Convert, figuring it would be compatible with my new iMac. But there's that X11 issue which I don't understand and do not wish to use. I've tried using Adobe Encoder, but it flatout captures all the metadata in the conversion. Did find iSkysoft Video Converter, which does in trial clone MOV to MOV without the metadata. Though it is tedious -- have about 100 files to strip out the metadata, the trial clones do work smoothly on the Premiere timeline.

Costs $36. If you've got a better solution, please let me know. And thanks for your interest.

Mar 11, 2014 5:52 PM in response to SamWeller

Just so you know, X11 isn't some sort of random spyware or anything like that. It is a framework that people use when developing applications. Just like you can run a car off gas, fuel, electricity, you can use the X11 framework or a different framework when you develop an application. You might get a little bit better idea from http://www.imore.com/x11-and-disturbing-trend-apple-removing-functionality-os-x

Have a look at Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/) and see how that goes for you.

Mar 11, 2014 6:12 PM in response to SamWeller

I'm not knowledgable about video editing, and even less so about Adobe products, but I do know that you should not convert video to a lossy format before editing it. That's something you do after editing. I doubt that any free app from the App Store is going to help you. A solution to your problem is more likely to be found on the Adobe website.

What in God's name is X11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.