Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I revert my Macbook Air back to Mountain Lion?

I got my Macbook Air for Christmas in 2012, so it's only a little over a year old. It came with Mountain Lion, and it's been fine, until I updated it to Mavericks. Well, it was alright for a little bit, until the past two days, it has frozen on me for absolutely no reason at all twice. I wasn't running a lot of programs or anything, my hard drive space was fine, my battery was fine, and I've taken good care of it (never spilt anything on it, dropped or banged it). When it froze, the keyboard and cursor didn't respond, it wouldn't go into sleep mode and the sound skipped. All I could do was hold the power button until it shut off. So I was doing research on it and I think the reason is Mavericks. So I backed up my important things onto a separate drive, and I did the restart with command+r and I erased the hard drive completely. But now the only option for installing is reinstalling Mavericks, which I don't want to do because I'll be brought back to square one. My brother has a disc for Snow Leopard, but apparently you shouldn't downgrade a computer to a system software older than the one it came with...does this mean I have to buy Mountain Lion now or something? I don't have any backups in Time Machine (which is stupid of me). My mom has a Macbook Pro with Lion, but I don't know if I can do anything with that (unless it came with a CD, which I don't think it did, and besides it's still an older version). Am I just stuck with Mavericks then? I wish I never upgraded...unless the freezing is related to something else?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Originally came with Mountain Lion

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 11:52 PM

4 replies

Mar 11, 2014 5:46 AM in response to Kniro

Your computer cannot use Snow Leopard - period. If it shipped with Mt Lion and that's what you want to return to contact AppleCare and you'll should be able to get a code to download Mt Lion. But there's no reason to. Mavericks is a solid OS being used by thousands of people without problems. Your upgrade may have gone awry for any number of reasons but that doesn't mean Mavericks is flawed.

Mar 11, 2014 4:06 PM in response to dwb

Okay. What I could possibly try doing is reinstalling Mavericks, and now that my computer's hard drive is empty, try using it and seeing if it starts freezing again. For all I know, the cause may not be Mavericks, and maybe erasing the hard drive might have fixed it...but if that doesn't work, then I'll probably have to contact Apple or something about it, and see if going back to Mountain Lion fixes it, or if there's something else wrong with my computer.

How can I revert my Macbook Air back to Mountain Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.