Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB hub that allows bootcamp to start

I've found quite a few people running into this problem on the forums: my bootcamp won't boot when there's a usb hub attached to my macbook pro.

Does anyone know of a USB hub model that will allow booting? I've tried 3 already and none work and I'm tired of disconnecting the usb hub every time I boot in bootcamp...

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 12:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2017 10:39 AM

I have the exact same issue with a late 2012 MBP: OSX is correctly booting with the HUB being connected whereas Windows installation freezes during the boot after the chime sound ends.

I have tested the HUBs (3 different ones) after Windows booted with the HUBs being unpluged during the boot, and they work perfectly.

I agree with the hypothesis of the compatibility issue with the BIOS and the HUB.

Hope someone throw us a bit of light regarding this issue.

@CSOUND: Seeing comments from people like you within forums is REALLY disgusting.

Best regards

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2017 10:39 AM in response to radlemur

I have the exact same issue with a late 2012 MBP: OSX is correctly booting with the HUB being connected whereas Windows installation freezes during the boot after the chime sound ends.

I have tested the HUBs (3 different ones) after Windows booted with the HUBs being unpluged during the boot, and they work perfectly.

I agree with the hypothesis of the compatibility issue with the BIOS and the HUB.

@CSOUND: Seeing comments from people like you within forums is REALLY disgusting.

Best regards

Feb 4, 2017 12:01 PM in response to eipok

eipok wrote:

Macs do not have a true BIOS layer, but they emulate BIOS using CSM-BIOS. Can you disable boot logging and check the log with the hub connected? Does Windows Safe Boot work?

Mar 11, 2014 8:14 AM in response to radlemur

Your question is unclear. Are you trying to run Boot Camp Assistant and it won't run, or are you trying to boot Windows and Windows won't boot. If you are trying to run Boot Camp Assistant, remove the hub. You only need to run Boot Camp Assistant once. If your Windows won't boot with the hub connected, you have a different issue. Windows should boot.

So describe your issue in more detail. Especially describe when you have the issue and what you are doing at the time it happens.

Mar 11, 2014 8:21 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Original post says "won't boot"...

Running Win7 under bootcamp. It won't get past the initial grey screen if a usb hub is connected to my MBP. Works fine if devices are connected directly or not connected at all.

I've found quite of different threads on this topic here but none of them mention any specific brand of USB hub that would allow it to boot - that is what I'm looking for - a specific product that will hopefully make this work.

For now the only workaround is to remove the usb hub while booting, then plug it back in when the system has finished booting, but I sometimes forget and then need to do a complete shutdown and restart...

Mar 11, 2014 8:43 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I tried the following hubs:

- Dell monitor (powered)

- Targa 4 port (unpowered)

- dlink 7 port (powered)

They all exhibit the same behavior.

What I was looking in this post was someone running into this issue and what hubs fix their problem...

It isn't the hub on its own preventing the boot, it's only when certain devices are attached through the hub...But the devices are not the issue, since system would boot if devices are plugged in directly (but with only 2 usb ports, that's not an option either).

Thanks

Oct 18, 2016 10:20 AM in response to radlemur

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I'm having the same issue and was wondering if you ever found a solution. The issue doesn't appear to be Windows because it never gets that far into the boot cycle. It doesn't move past the first gray screen right after chime. I have a suspicion it has to do with the BIOS emulation and USB compatibility.

A client actually brought this to my attention and my testing confirms it is consistent across multiple Macbook Pros with a few different hubs.

USB hub that allows bootcamp to start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.