Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unexpected background downloading after updating to 7.1

After updating to iOS 7.1 I have noticed that my iPhone 5 is downloading several hundred MB in the background when connected to wi-fi. What is also unusual is that it only seems to do this downloading when the iPhone is connected, via cable, to my Mac OS 10.9.2 computer. This is a problem for me as I have limited downloads available. I also noticed that my iPhone 4S did the same thing, but it did seem to eventually stop. I have had to turn off wi-fi on my iPhone 5 now, because I have no more data available.

I have checked that the following are all off:

• Personal Hotspot
  • iCloud backup
  • iTunes & App Store > Automatic downloads

Background App Refresh is on, and turning it off didn't make any difference.

iTunes indicates that the amount of free space has reduced by several hundred MB, but I am not sure exactly where that space was used.

I imagine that if others have experienced this issue, they may not have noticed it as they routinely would not monitor their data usage as closely as I do.

Any insights appreciated.

Thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1, iPhone 4S too

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 1:13 AM

9 replies

Mar 11, 2014 1:57 PM in response to Reefsta80

Thank you. It is useful to know that it is not only me. I have determined something else since I wrote the orginal post. The downloads only happen when the iPhone is connected to a power source and wifi. The only role of the computer is as a power source. Mine is still wanting to download untold amounts of data, so now I just avoid using wifi.

Unexpected background downloading after updating to 7.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.