Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Over heating and battery drain on iPhone 4 after iOS 7.1 update

I am facing heavy battery drain and overheating after updating my iPhone 4 to IOS 7.1

The battery discharges @ 1% for every minute - when not in use / idle. The handset stays uncomfortably warm. The background app refresh, location services, screen brightness etc have been switched off/kept to the minimum. Though there is significant improvement in responsiveness. There were no battery/overheating issues with iOS 7.0.6.

Have reset all settings, switched on/off, given a hard boot (power button + home button) but no use.

Suggestions to resolve this are welcome.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 3:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 3:12 AM

You have done the "hard boot" already.

Disconnect from computer and disconnect the charger.

Let it run unitil 40-50% of battery left, then do the reset: hold Power button and Home button at the same time, keep holding, until you see the white apple logo appear. After restart complete, check all settings again. Let it be off the charger and computer until about 35-45% of battery left.

Then connect again. Never discharge to lower than 20-25%.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2014 3:12 AM in response to Jaivarshney

You have done the "hard boot" already.

Disconnect from computer and disconnect the charger.

Let it run unitil 40-50% of battery left, then do the reset: hold Power button and Home button at the same time, keep holding, until you see the white apple logo appear. After restart complete, check all settings again. Let it be off the charger and computer until about 35-45% of battery left.

Then connect again. Never discharge to lower than 20-25%.

Mar 23, 2014 8:49 AM in response to Jaivarshney

Do a clean installation. This OTA update is just a little patch compared to the 1.X gb update, there must be something. It is convinient, but there is nothing better than a clean installation. It is a pain because you have to back up your files and delete everything, but it is the only way to have good battery life. I was being lazy until I decided to do it and now my iphone 5 running ios 7.1 has better battery life than before, it was also getting very hot. As far as I was told by an Apple Store tech if you restore from a backup make sure you use the one from iCloud instead.

Mar 24, 2014 11:22 AM in response to Jaivarshney

After the update to iOS 7.1 with my iPhone 5s I got the problem with the quickly draining battery.

There are many recommendations in the forum how to reduce the power consumption of your iPhone. But I knew that all of these recommendations are not solving my problem.

Before I updated my power consumption was 1 to 2% per hour if not using the iPhone. After the update it was 10 times higher, 10 to 20% per hour not using it. This high power consumption can never be solved by switching off some location services, not on the iPhone 5s with its M7 co-processor.

After I did a full backup followed by a complete reset and restore, it looked in the beginning very good, but after one whole day I recognised that the high battery drain was still very high. I assumed that there is one task running the whole time in the background on my iPhone. So I got a system morning app to watch the tasks running in the background on my iPhone.

Unfortunately I couldn't see the CPU utilisation per task in that app (maybe if possible by using Xcode). Anyhow I could see that the task 'profiled' and 'mdmd' got very often a new PID and appear therefore on the top of the process list -> it looked like that these tasks tried to do something repeated without success.

Because I am using a Mac server with the profile manger to configure my iOS devices, I verified my profile manager and removed the profiles from my iPhone. After that I watched the iPhone and could not see any more the battery drain for several hours. Even after the re-installation of the profiles the battery consumption was back to normal. The profiled and mdmd task are not in the tasks list in the monitoring app any more.

So if you are using the profile Mananger or the iPhone configuration utility you may have only to re-install the profiles to get rid of the battery drain issue.

May 12, 2014 8:56 AM in response to Jaivarshney

This is not a software issue!!!. Yes, it may cause by the software update.. I had the same issue with my Iphone5 after 7.1.. I went crazy .. seeing my battery draining 1% a minute without using it.. and it took more than 7 hours to charge completely. Worst my IPhone was out of warranty cant take it back to Apple to have it fixed.

Things already did -

I changed the battery

Restored the phone

Switched to setting basically nothing

Waited for 7.1.1 to come out and then update the phone

But none of these helped at all 😟

So i rolled the last dice.. took my phone to a local technician (in Philippines). They said none of the above will resolve the issue.

What exactly went wrong was the - USB POWER MANAGEMENT CONTROLLER IC U2 was busted. Once this was replaced my phone worked just fine. in fact I was amazed with the results. 😮

My phone charged 100% from 20% in less than 60 minutes.

Now my battery lasts for more than 15 hours ( i do not use mobile data only Wi-Fi)

So if your phone is out of warranty no harm in getting this part replaced. If within warranty you may get a replacement handset.

Now to what causes this as per the technician " Every update from apple tries to exclude accessories that are not certified, and you do get the pop up that this accessory may not be supported" continue to use the charger will fry the IC U2 .

Hope this Helps goodluck

Over heating and battery drain on iPhone 4 after iOS 7.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.