Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Continues rebooting iPhone 5

So, I'm having this problem with my iPhone5. It keeps rebooting every single time. Can't use my phone the way I should be able to use it. Had this problem for 3 months now, sent it in for repair twice; problem still occurs. They told me IOS 7.1 would fix the restarts, but after updating it gets even worse. I checked the diagnosticsreport, and the error is as follows, every single time the same one:

{"os_version":"iPhone OS 7.1 (11D167)","name":"Reset count","bug_type":"115"}

Incident Identifier: 5316ADA1-9D63-459D-82A1-DBBB84AC522C

CrashReporter Key: 64dd7fe19b6a533333f713b42e1de7808309351d

Date: 2014-03-11 10:23:45 +0100

Reset count: 0

Boot failure count: 1

Boot faults:

Boot stage: 48

Boot app: 0

Anyone else dealing with this? Any advice?

Sincerely,

Tom

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 3:20 AM

10 replies

Mar 11, 2014 6:10 AM in response to thatkelsey

Thanks for answering. I've already restored the device to factory settings and didn't restore from a backup back then. The problem still occured. I've mentioned this when I had it serviced for the first time. Even then they didn't manage to fix it. The ticket said 'component replaced', without mentioning what component. Obviously, they replaced the wrong component twice.

Apr 30, 2014 7:30 PM in response to TomiPhone5

hi too everyone

i am currently using my iphone 4 and i am having the same problem. for months now

}os_version'':''iphone OS 7.1.1 (11D201)'',''name'',''Reset

count'' bug_type'',''115'')

Incident Identifier:5A35A595-5530-46C7-B491-24E72A11E28

Crash report Key:

fd990cbcbaf37bd38c657cf14b3374514cc2fab8

Date:2014-04-30 22:07:03-0400

reset count:0

Boot failure count:2

Boot faults:rst vdd_under

boot stage:80

Boot app:2681261667

battery at 57%

APPLE Please Help

Apr 1, 2015 10:06 AM in response to abuali1981

Same here on iPhone 5. Since iOS 8.1 (currently iOS 8.2). "panic.ips" in diagnostics, "WDT timeout".

Is it a hardware bug (new battery, new display, ...) or is it a software bug?

I have currently the following suspects:

- Battery (replacement part from Apple in use)

- Display (replacement part from Apple in use)

- Flash storage (free disk space very low (< 1 GB left))

- iOS

The ResetCounter-Log created after reboot of the iDevice has "bug_type" = 115).

What do you think?

Apr 1, 2016 3:08 PM in response to MobileHero

I was at a Genius Bar. They opened it and checked the battery, which was fine (which wasn´t a new fact for me, I used iBackupBot, full charge capacity still OK). They mentioned the not original anymore screen I replaced when killing the original one. They basically told me, to live with the FREEZES/REBOOTS because it´s pretty likely it´s the logic board. Apple does not sell them, it would be 279 € for getting a replacement device (most likely a refurbished). They also recommended to not restore the iPhone, because during this process the restore might fail and lead e. g. to an error 53 code, which means: put the device as defect on ebay.

I did a few further checks by myself like changing battery and display again to other/original hardware, also checked several connectors, removed battery health apps etc.. Didn´t make any difference, still FREEZED/REBOOTED.

Today I did, what I didn´t for a very long time - about the same period of time, the iPhone suffers from those panic.ips WDT timeout FREEZES/REBOOTS: I did an iOS update using iTunes, instead of the (much quicker, but only incremental) OTA update. Using iTunes the full operating system is replaced, not only the changed parts.

After the iOS 9.3.1 update I performed a few tests, which usually guaranteed lead to a FREEZE/REBOOT, like e. g. performing app updates. I collected them the last days, 18 updates without a problem. At the beginning it "soft-freezed" (clock didn´t change for a few minutes), but the hardware was functional (like e. g. working display brightness sensor or still playing music), it ended with "apps can´t be loaded at the moment" message. Performed the updates again, finish. iOS now managed to NOT run into a timeout ("WDT timeout"), there was no REBOOT, no panic.ips. So I guess it was a defect system file/setting, which was replaced by an original/not defect.

I´ll monitor this closely the next days and weeks, but for the first time after 15 months I´m really confident.

To all the others still suffering from the same: It MIGHT be worth a try (iOS update using iTunes). Did you also perform the iOS updates always via OTA? panic.ips seems to has several reasons, so there´s no guarantee it will work - maybe just give it a try (after performing an iTunes backup of course).

Continues rebooting iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.