Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture won't open because of newer version of library

I have both Aperture (3.3.1) as I photo (9.4.3) on my Imac. I can not upgrade to Aperture 3.5 as the Imac is too old and cannot have a higher OS-version then 10.7

Both Aperture and Iphoto use the same Aperture library (3.3.1).

The upgrade to Iphoto 9.4.3 was recently. Once installed it mentioned that it had to upgrade the library (aperture).

Eversince I can not open Aperture; I always get the response : cannot be loaded because it is from a newer version of Aperture, although both program and library have the same version.

I tried the repair permissions, repair database and rebuild database... It does not solve this issue the next time I open Aperture.

how can I bring back my library to the correct version? as I have the feeling that the upgrade by Iphoto 9.4.3 brought the library to a higher Aperture version.

Imac Intel, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 3:34 AM

4 replies

Mar 11, 2014 5:16 AM in response to RoKox

When you are using iPhoto an Aperture on the same library, both versions must match.

Either restore your Aperture library from your backup to the previous version of the library, or update Aperture to match your current iPhoto version.

With the latest Lion version 10.7.5 you could update Aperture to version 3.4.5; the updater is here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1657

Mar 12, 2014 12:49 AM in response to léonie

So I went on with the option to upgrade Aperture to version 3.4.5

When unpacking I received the message : The version of Aperture installed on this Mac must be updated through the Mac App Store. Check the Mac App Store to see if an update is available.

How can I bypass the AppStore? In the app store I can only go to version 3.5 which is not possible with my OS X version

Apr 3, 2014 11:30 AM in response to RoKox

Fixed...

I ran into this same issue after upgrading to Mavericks and upgrading both iPhoto and Aperture to the latest versions. I opening my Aperture library (default) in iPhoto first and was notifed that the database needed to be updated for this new version. I did so. Afterwards I tried opening in Aperature and got the error:

"The library in “XXX” cannot be loaded because it is from a newer version of Aperture."

After much messing around I got Aperature reinstalled using this approach below becuase the App Store already said I had the current version. If you just move Aperture to the trash, App Store thinks its still installed even after reboot.

Try the following steps in order:

Quit the App Store

Eject all disks (including any .dmg files you have mounted)

Use Spotlight to search your hard drive for anything with a similar name to your application.

If you find anything related to the application in question remove those files.

Delete the file at ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.appstore.plist

Delete the file at ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore/Cache.db

Delete the file at ~/Library/Cookies/com.apple.appstore.plist

Delete the file at ~/Library/Cookies/Cookies.plist

Open terminal and run this command: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.fra mework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Logout of your computer & log back in

Reopen the Mac App Store

Try to install the application again and all should be fine.

Aperture won't open because of newer version of library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.