Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To transfer my files from my windows 7 PC to my new MacBook Pro retina do I need a thunderbolt adapter for Ethernet? If so do I need two, one for my DSL modem and one connecting the two computers? This is quite costly is there another way.

To transfer my files from my windows 7 PC to my new MacBook Pro retina do I need a thunderbolt adapter for Ethernet? If so do I need two, one for my DSL modem and one connecting the two computers? This is quite costly is there another way. I do live in a rural area, internet is ok, but not super fast.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 7:00 AM

5 replies

Mar 11, 2014 1:00 PM in response to Cher A

You can do it wireless by downloading the Migration assistant software on your windows computer and for that also both your computers have to be connected on the same network and then follow the instruction as mentioned in the above link and to do it wired you need Ethernet to Ethernet cable and connect both your computers using the same and then open Migration Assistant on your Mac computer and follow the onscreen instruction on your Mac to transfer files from your windows to Mac computer by selecting the right source of importing data.

Mar 12, 2014 3:00 AM in response to Cher A

You can use an External Hard Drive to Backup data from your Windows Pc, but that will just transfer the data like Pictures, Music, Videos, Documents, etc. on your Mac. By using Exteranl Hard disk you will have to manually transfer the files on Mac to its Location of the file kind (Eg; Photos to Pictures folder on Mac, Music to Music folder on Mac and then Import the Pictures to iPhoto and Import the Music to iTunes) which will be a very long procedure) And also if you Manually Backup up your Data on External Hard Drive then your Mail settings and other few settings will not be done automatically on your Mac and you will have to do them on your own.

The best option would be connecting your Mac and Windows computer with eachother using Ethernet to Ethernet Cable and then Install and Use Migration Assistant on your Windows and also run Migration Assistant on your Mac to Transfer your Data. You can check the below link to know what does the Migration Assistant Backup.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4796

To transfer my files from my windows 7 PC to my new MacBook Pro retina do I need a thunderbolt adapter for Ethernet? If so do I need two, one for my DSL modem and one connecting the two computers? This is quite costly is there another way.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.