Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has my Mountain Lion OS started asking me for my password when I delete files I've created?

Within the past week, Mountain Lion has started asking me for my password whenever I want to throw out a file. The message says: "Finder wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this." Two questions:

1. How do I make it stop asking me for the password, and

2. What did I do (if anything) to cause this to start?

Dave

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 12:51 PM

This is normally a sign of home folder permission problems. The standard way to deal with it is:

1) boot into recovery (command-R at the boot chime)

2) check Macintosh HD for errors

3) open terminal while still in recovery

4) type resetpassword in terminal

5) at the bottom of the resetpassword screen (don't change your password) is a section to reset home ACLs. Select it and let it run, when it's done restart your mac (from the menu).

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2014 12:51 PM in response to mormedia

This is normally a sign of home folder permission problems. The standard way to deal with it is:

1) boot into recovery (command-R at the boot chime)

2) check Macintosh HD for errors

3) open terminal while still in recovery

4) type resetpassword in terminal

5) at the bottom of the resetpassword screen (don't change your password) is a section to reset home ACLs. Select it and let it run, when it's done restart your mac (from the menu).

User uploaded file

Why has my Mountain Lion OS started asking me for my password when I delete files I've created?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.