Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7.1 Bluetooth in the car issues

I updated my iPhone to iOS 7.1 last night, and noticed an "issue" with bluetooth that is now happening. (2013 Toyota RAV4)

When listening to my iPod Touch over usb, and with bluetooth ON on my iPhone - when I turn the iPhone on or off, the stereo switches over to bluetooth for no reason. After a few seconds it switches back to the iPod and continues with the music. It definitely didn't do this with iOS 7.0x

I don't listen to AM or FM (or even CD), but I wonder if the same issue happens.

I hope this gets sorted out - gonna get annoying every time I look at my phone (email, text - at a red light of coarse) my phone switches over to bluetooth and the music stops.

Is anyone else seeing this type of issue in their cars?

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 7:24 AM

9 replies

Mar 12, 2014 9:25 AM in response to R. Berardi

I updated my iPhone to iOS 7.1 yesterday. I found that I was able to answer/talk regular voice calls using my cars bluetoooth/speakers. However I was not able to do the same for a facetime call. When I answer a facetime call in my car, I am having to use my phone's microphone and speaker to listen and talk. The audio from the phone is no longer routed through the bluetooth in the car. The hands-free functionality for facetime calls seems to be disabled. It didn't do this with iOS 7.0x.

Anybody facing the same problem ?

Mar 13, 2014 9:26 AM in response to R. Berardi

I have 2011 VW Jetta that worked fine with the hands free UNTIL the update. Now I have to manually dial numbers but not all sone numbers still can be voice dialed. I just left the VW dealer and confirmed there is no issue with the car as the service manager used his iphone which had not done the update yet. Anything from apple on this matter? Kind of makes it unsafe now to use while driving.

Mar 15, 2014 4:34 PM in response to R. Berardi

I deleted the iPhone 4S from the car (Hyundai) re-paired car and phone, twice. Car said it was connected and showed bluetooth icon but when I try to make a bluetooth call, (call John) car cannot/does not access telephone directory in iPhone contacts. Worked just fine before updating now cannot make a call. I drive a lot and need to be able to make/receive hands free calls.

Mar 15, 2014 4:38 PM in response to Cathymcm

Go into Settings>Bluetooth and tap on the little ℹ to the right of the vehicle listing. Make sure that sync contacts is on. The vehicle should automatically sync your contacts. You might need to tap on the Contacts button in the car to check that. Do you have a Hyundai with the full navigation system, or just the Bluetooth? I have a 2012 Hyundai Sontata Hybrid with full navigation and have no trouble with multiple phones and the Hyundai system.

Apr 23, 2014 5:57 AM in response to R. Berardi

I'm having similar problem with my Toyota and Iphone 5 ios 7.1. I can listen music via bluetooth but can not talk with my phone. I can answer or end calls using buttons on steering wheel, but voice is coming from phone. Re-paired not worked for me.

Although there was an option before update on my phone call screen. I was able to select car multimedia or phone.

iOS 7.1 Bluetooth in the car issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.