Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 09 rebuild stuck Examining Library with progress bar unmoved

It has just sat there for 2+ hours The activity monitor shows iphoto is very busy. Should I keep waiting?

Problem occurred when iphoto was opened (and it worked fine three days ago) and it told us that the library was busy of needed to be rebuilt. Reboot of imac didn't help.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 8:31 AM

How big is your iPhoto library? For a really huge library (several hundred GB) rebuilding can take several hours without any visible progress - in that case let it run.

If your library is smaller, try rebuilding with iPhoto Library Manager .

See Old Toad's post here, on how to run iPhoto Library Manager: Re: All my photos are Black Exclamation Marks - iphoto on ExtHD

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2014 8:31 AM in response to rwexelblat

How big is your iPhoto library? For a really huge library (several hundred GB) rebuilding can take several hours without any visible progress - in that case let it run.

If your library is smaller, try rebuilding with iPhoto Library Manager .

See Old Toad's post here, on how to run iPhoto Library Manager: Re: All my photos are Black Exclamation Marks - iphoto on ExtHD

Mar 11, 2014 9:00 AM in response to rwexelblat

The iPhoto Library Manager will leave the original library untouched and create a copy.

Nevertheless, it is good practice to always have a backup copy of the library, when trying a rebuild.

What happened to cause the necessity to rebuild in he first place? Did iPhoto crash? Did you install or upgrade any new software? Ran any maintenance software, like cleaning apps? Move the iPhoto library?

Mar 11, 2014 9:56 AM in response to léonie

This is my wife's computer. Nothing system-wise happened since last she ran iPhoto -- though perhaps an automatic update to iPhoto occurred.

I have made a copy of a week-ago version from time machine. She has added no phtots since then.

I'm going to let it run overnight and then, if not done, kill it. Move a backup version into place and try again.

Thanks for your continued assistance.

iPhoto 09 rebuild stuck Examining Library with progress bar unmoved

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.