Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HI! i just want to ask .. If Macbook Pro can get a virus?

I just want to ask if my macbook pro can get a virus? I bought my pro last november 2013 .. and my cousin plug her usb to research her homework and put it on her usb .. then she told me that the file she saved or her file was not on her usb and said in my laptop that theres something wrong in her usb but when she tried it to their computer in her school there's nothing said to her usb or reporting that her usb has something wrong with it .. so i doubt if my laptop was the real problem? and i didn't have any anti-virus ..

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 8:04 AM

Is your MBP doing anything odd that raises concerns for you? Or is it just a case that the USB is behaving oddly and has been plugged into your computer in the past?

There really are no true viruses out there which affect Macs. There ARE examples of Malware, poorly implemented programs, occasional Trojans etc.

Chances are that even if there WAS a virus on the USB stick, your MBP operating system would prevent it doing anything nasty to your computer (without then need for anti-virus software).

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2014 8:04 AM in response to CramsoiL

Is your MBP doing anything odd that raises concerns for you? Or is it just a case that the USB is behaving oddly and has been plugged into your computer in the past?

There really are no true viruses out there which affect Macs. There ARE examples of Malware, poorly implemented programs, occasional Trojans etc.

Chances are that even if there WAS a virus on the USB stick, your MBP operating system would prevent it doing anything nasty to your computer (without then need for anti-virus software).

Mar 11, 2014 8:28 AM in response to CramsoiL

I'm not sure why you are saying this.

XProtect is the native anti-malware program on Macs since 10.6.7, I believe. It will only recognize malware it has already cataloged and it does not recognize dangerous files, even if they are cataloged, if the source is a USB connection, like a flash drive.

http://www.thesafemac.com/how-does-your-mac-not-protect-you/

To the OP: I would suggest getting VirusBarrierExpress and using it to scan your entire drive. Or reconnect that flash drive and see if you can get VBE to scan it alone. It's available free at the App Store. But there again, if a threat hasn't been cataloged, it will be useless for finding it. You shouldn't therefore conclude that if nothing is found, it necessarily means that no exploit or infection has occurred.

Mar 11, 2014 8:40 AM in response to CramsoiL

I really don't understand your first post; it's very confusing. Can you please explain more carefully, perhaps with some punctuation (periods, commas and capital letters at the beginning of a new sentence would help a lot) what made you think there might have been some kind of malware (virus) on the flash drive (USB stick)? Or if if it wasn't a concern about a USB flash drive, can you say just what your concern was that prompted asking this question.

Mar 11, 2014 8:50 AM in response to WZZZ

I mean, there's nothing wrong about my laptop, and she just told me that when she plugged her usb on my laptop and get her documents from my laptop then put it in her usb or saved it, and something pop up, it said that her usb had a problem but when she plugged it in on their computer on her school there's nothing wrong about her usb unliked when she plugged it in on my laptop and her documents were not on her usb but she told me that she saved it when she's using my laptop ..

Mar 11, 2014 9:46 AM in response to CramsoiL

It's very difficult to understand the problem due to your style of communication, as WZZZ has pointed out. However, it sounds like whatever the problem is probably is an issue with that USB flash drive. Perhaps it is formatted in a way that the Mac cannot deal with in the same way a PC can (NTFS, for example, can be read but not written to on a Mac), or it may be damaged in a way that the Mac is having a problem with and the PC is not.

In any event, this is not due to a virus, or any other kind of malware. That said, it's also not true that your Mac can protect you from everything, or that you can put aside all worries. Strawb268 is setting your mind a bit too much at ease, and this could end up getting you infected at some point. See my Mac Malware Guide for more information, and see Time to re-evaluate safety of Mac OS X for information about malware that I have tested against Mac OS X and found to still be of concern.

Mar 11, 2014 10:14 AM in response to Strawb268

EDIT: meant for Thomas.

That is unfortunate. Just downloaded new defintions, so at least that's still working. Have also been running Sophos on my 10.6.8 the past week. No problems at all, so far, although site loading is a tiny bit slower than before. If that's the only issue, then I think it's worth the trade off, at least for running Snow.

Mar 12, 2014 5:15 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thanks thomas_r. (and WZZZ) for clarifying.

I had not intended to foster over confidence or complacency on the part of the OP and I do tend to make a distinction between Virus and Malware that is not in the thinking of many who post here. As I said in an earlier post on this Thread, there ARE examples of Malware, poorly implemented programs, occasional Trojans etc. all of which have the potential to affect Macs.

I also fully accept that new and unrecognised malware will not be picked up by XProtect.

I think Klaus1's User Tips are rather helpful:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3341

(and, of course, your Mac Malware Guide thomas_r. !!!!).

HI! i just want to ask .. If Macbook Pro can get a virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.