Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since IOS 7.1, and the OSX 10.9.2 update, I cannot use Airplay to connect to my Airport Express APs.

Actually, the problem on my iPhones started back with IOS 7.0.6, but I was hoping that 7.1 would fix them. This concerns me because Apple seems to have dropped support for the older Airport Express units (the configuration utility doesn't even run on Mavricks). I know that nothing changed on the Airport side, because I had three of them, and they all stoped working as soon as I updated my handsets. I really don't want to drop $300 to buy new Airport Expresses when these ones should be perfectly fine.

iPad, iPhone, iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 8:17 AM

2 replies

May 9, 2014 10:35 AM in response to Vernarella

I think the lack of any communication is the answer. The Apple stopped supporting the older Airport Express units a while ago. Even the configuration utility no longer supports Mavericks. I believe that the security change needed in IOS 7.1 made it incompatible with the older Airport Express, and Apple has no desire to post a firmware fix to resolve this problem.

In short, anybody that was using the early generation of Airport Express for Airplay alone will now find that these units are basically paperweights. I sold mine on craigslist, as they are still nice portable APs, and reluctantly purchased new Airport Expresses because I wasn't quite ready to go the Sonos route. Speaking as an Apple Fanboy, this experience was very disappointing.

Since IOS 7.1, and the OSX 10.9.2 update, I cannot use Airplay to connect to my Airport Express APs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.