Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you restore Siri's previous UK English voice in iOS 7.1. The new English UK male voice sounds awful.

Can you restore Siri's previous UK English voice in iOS 7.1. The new English male voice in iOS 7.1 is very off putting. The original voice was by far more neutral. The new voice make Siri sound like he has an annoying attitude and rather weak, rather than being solid and professional. Can I restore the old voice. The old voice is still availble in Voiceover, but not Siri.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 6:28 PM

Hi JR-JR,

Unfortunately there isn't any way of getting Jon Brigg's voice back as Siri on 7.1. Interesting that they didn't change VoiceOver though.

Have to say I agree with you, the new voices are twee and lack the identity of the original.

There's always http://www.apple.com/feedback/ as usual.

10 replies

Mar 13, 2014 2:04 PM in response to JR-JR

I agree the new British English voice used in Siri on iOS 7.1 is very poor. It sounds weak and wimpy. The original Siri voice and the VoiceOver voice are the same as Daniel in OS X. I hope that Apple does not change the VoiceOver and the OS X voice to this new one. I am oficially blind and I have to use the VoiceOver on iOS and OS X all the time. The new voice would get vey annoying.

Apr 13, 2014 1:28 AM in response to JR-JR

Yes, It would be great to get the old British Siri voice back. I don't like that Apple makes changes to the settings without leaving the option for old customers to keep what they bought and liked and got used to. E.g. the odd ugly grey folders someone invented and thought they look great.... Where is Steve Jobs taste?

Jul 25, 2014 11:22 AM in response to I'm Brian

Yes I think it's most inconsiderate of Apple to change the voice of Siri from the original British Male voice to something more effeminate without first enquiring with our disabled / visualy impaired users who rely on this important feature much more than the casual user. These and certain other users have become accustomed to working with this interface and recognising its characteristics, then to suddenly change the voice without prior warning or the option to restore the original voice seems selfish and self centered of Apple, prioritising the product as fashionable rather than a useful tool.

I suppose Apple would have us believe a replacement Guide Dog every year or so is also necessary - or fashionable.

Can you restore Siri's previous UK English voice in iOS 7.1. The new English UK male voice sounds awful.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.